Sunday, August 8, 2010

Imploding face.

All of a sudden the world has gotten me confused with Bella, the dog who gets weird conditions/illnesses. HI I'm not her, go AWAY.

So.

I went backpacking a week ago and got bit right under my nose by a mosquito. Not too shocking because there were a gazillion bugs. I itched it because it was a mosquito bite. IT ITCHED. Well, throughout the week, that bite spot just continued to look worse and worse. I was putting on anti-itch bug cream, then at one point I even put on cold sore cream thinking maybe it hadn't actually been a bite, lotion, neosporin. EVERYTHING. Because it was disgusting and the only other options were to put a bag over my head or saw off my face.

Well.

Throughout the weekend, it continually got worse. Which was GREAT since I hung around friends all weekend who kept looking at my face kinda cock eyed like, "What happened to you?" Sunday morning, all hell broke loose. Blisters (!!!!) everywhere, open sores everywhere and the "bite" under my nose? Basically turned into a small version of China on my face. I looked like a 15 year old boy who has possibly the worst case of acne EVER. I even had blisters on my EYELIDS. At this point I am fighting tears and sufficiently FREAKING. And google told me I had herpes. GREAT. And by the way, WHAT THE FUCK? Oh, and also, google told me once again I would die from this. Middle finger, google, middle finger... WHY must I always go back to you?

So, I promptly drove myself to Urgent Care.

The diagnosis? Well, TURNS out that spot actually WAS a bug bite. And from that lovely bug bite developed an infection called impetigo. Basically a staph infection that is caused by bug bites and spreads. Especially if you itch. NICE TO KNOW. The doctor took a look at my face and lost all of her doctor modesty when she said, "WOW, you've got it bad." And by the way, this infection? Most common in kids. HELLO?! Shouldn't I be exempt then? Good news is a) I'm not going to die (take that google) b) it's not herpes and c) it's not a bad case of acne that I never had as a teenager.

After getting a prescription for some heavy duty antibiotics and some topical ointment (and asking for a prescription bag to wear over my head), I was on my way. I then promptly indulged in about 10 pounds of peanut butter (hi comfort food) and wallowed in self pity for a while. Then I went on a hike with Bella and some friends and felt better...

Here's hoping that each day this week, I start to look just a bit more normal... Pictures of this madness:

The worst part of it was on this side... but there are the red open sores all on the other side of my face, eyelids, forehead, nose, etc.

And one more. GROSS. And yes, those sores hurt like hell.

No comments: