Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Disaster at Petco

It has been raining all week here. Glooooomy.

Additionally, Tim has been working quite a bit- including today. So Bella was stuck at home all day by herself (well, with the cats). I go home and spend an hour or so with her in the middle of the day and then get home around 4 for the night with her. Today going on a walk with her was not an option as she barely wanted to pee outside because it was so wet. She is a total princess about getting her paws wet. Does. not. like.

So I decide to take her with me on a couple of errands. I have to go to the grocery store and then I decide that I will take her to Petco to get a new toy to play with since we are all stuck inside. Plus, she likes going to Petco (*understatement).

She does fine waiting on me at the grocery store. We get to Petco and get soaked walking in.

BUT, HELLO!?! HOW DID I NOT MISS THAT OTHER DOG WALKING IN BEHIND US? IT'S A DOG! MOM! BEHIND US!! A DOOOOOGGG!!!!!

I forgot, when there are other puppies around we must contort our bodies into ridiculous shapes, stick our butts in the air and wiggle, wiggle, wiggle... oh yes, and we MUST. JUMP. AND TWIST. AND WHINE. AND LOSE CONTROL.

Duh, I can't believe I forgot that minor detail. How ridiculous I am that I thought that training would help instill some little minor bit of something I like to call sanity. Sorry Bella.

So, this is the first sign.

We go in and guess what? The calm, mellow, perfectly behaved chocolate lab and his owner are headed to the same aisle we are headed to. Lovely.

The owner says, "You sure have an energy ball on your hands." Hmm...you think? Maybe you should go ELSEWHERE so she stops seeing your dog. Or I will.

So I tell him that yes, we do indeed have a very energetic puppy but she is just friendly and wants to play and that we are in training.

So then this dude has maybe the BEST. IDEA. EVER. He says, "Well, I'll just let my lab come over and say hi since you seem to have the "training tricks" down for her [I was holding her leash like we learned to in an effort to prevent jumping]"

I tell him that I think this is not a good idea because she is just going ballistic. And he insists. I tell him that I am sorry if it does not go well.

Jump to the end: It does not go well.

Although she only has 6 inches of leash to work with to prevent her from jumping and I am on the floor also restraining her, as the lab gets closer she wiggles and wiggles, she tries and tries to jump, then YES! The lab is in range and her thought of "I shall bop him on the nose" comes to fruition eliciting a yelp from the poor guy.

Do you think I'm done?

Nope.

She then COMPLETELY loses it... literally. Even though she had just gone pee, she got so excited so peed all over the aisle... and on the lab... and on the lab's owner... and on me. Freaking awesome.

Oh? AND? She continues to attempt to jump and almost face plants in her own pee.

At that point I just look at the guy and say, "I told you this would be a disaster." And he says, "Well, we tried, looks like she needs more training."

Thanks, asshole, that's what I TRIED to tell you. She is just a puppy who has a TON of energy built up from the rainy, slow day so I can't be totally mad at her especially when my tactic would have been to have just avoid it at that point knowing that she was not in the mood to "train" at that moment because she didn't have the attention span. She's only 5 months old for the love of god, and is a good puppy by all accounts. She will get there. But still... that was totally embarassing.

No comments: