Thursday, May 7, 2009

The $8 pepper

Whole foods has a notorious rap for being pricey. While I would not wholeheartedly agree with this, I will say that I can understand why some people would think that. However, it is my favorite grocery store for many reasons (this list is not all inclusive):

-Great produce (which Trader Joes lacks)
-All natural everything (including skincare, haircare, dog items, etc)
-Fantastic selection of supplements/holistic body care
-Unbelievable selection of anything and everything healthy you could want

That being stated, we do not buy all of our groceries at Whole Foods. We do usually buy our organic produce there. We have found that it is not necessarily more expensive than buying organic produce anywhere else (like Safeway). We also buy our all natural yogurts, organic peanut butter, ice cream, some crackers/items like that but not many because they are usually much better priced (and tasting, I think) at Trader Joes. I tell Tim that anything really outside of what we usually buy (and even most of the items we do buy) comes with a standard $4.99 price tag. It's just how it is there (and to us it's worth it).

Well, Tim went for the Whole Foods run earlier today and on the list was pepper (like black pepper in a grinder bottle). We use this a lot to cook with and season salads/pasta, etc. There is a pepper that I love that we get from Trader Joes for oh, $2.99 or so.

I get home from work and Tim shows me this new fancy pepper and looks at me kind of with disdain as he says, "It was $7.99." WHAT?!

I mean, I justify a LOT as far as spending money on groceries. You kind of have to if you buy organically. But $7.99 for a small jar of pepper? That just seems crazy to me. Apparently, as he explained to me, it is an all natural, organic blend of black pepper, green pepper, white pepper, and some other type of pepper. And the grinder is amazing.

Uh-huh. I am not sold. I continue to look at him like "WTF were you thinking?" And he looks back at me like, "Just wait till you try it."

So that night we make pasta and I decide to see just how worth it this $7.99 pepper is. This is totally ridiculous but I totally get why that pepper is $7.99. I never in my life thought I would say that it is worth it to spend $8 on pepper but it is absolutely amazing.

No comments: