Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pregnancy Round 2: Week 36.

Sitting here at exactly 37 weeks and a day and feel like a ticking time bomb... week 36 was pretty non-eventful, really, but the thought that we are almost there is a little crazy. Still can't quite wrap my head around it.

Incriminating pictures:


Week 36 side shot


Week 36 front shot


Week 36 with Owen just for fun.


Week 35 side shot.


Week 35 front shot.

How I'm feeling?
I'm feeling pretty good this week. A lot of the anxiety I had last week dissipated a little bit because I convinced myself that I am still going to be pregnant for another month. Not sure why, but this feeling just came over me to where I felt like I still have a ton of time and will be able to get everything done in between now and then. I still feel like I'm just a waddling tanker truck, but that kind of comes with the territory in the last month of pregnancy. Even some of my maternity shirts are starting to look like tank tops, so you know we MUST be getting close. 

Justin's leg is much, much better this week. He's still in the boot but by next week he should be out of the boot and on the mend. It will have been 4 weeks of being in the boot so about what was anticipated, but the good news is that I am still pregnant so we didn't have to deal with a newborn, me recovering from birth, and a cripple all at the same time. 

I'm still working out though it is getting a little harder. Walking up and down my running hills is challenging. My hips feel like they might explode afterwards so it's always a question of if I really want to put forth the effort. Walking is GOOD but hips hurting is BAD. Plus, I'm really trying to NOT send myself in to labor and I have this unrealistic (probably) fear that if I walk too much I'm just going to go. So, I've been doing a little walking but mostly just trying to get in to the gym a few times a week. Plus, doing housework around the house and chasing Owen around. At this point in pregnancy, as lame as it sounds, those both qualify for workouts in my book. 

How I'm changing?
Still a little bit of swelling in my ankles because it's stayed pretty hot here, but nothing too bad. I just get a little uncomfortable by the end of the day. I will say that sleeping is starting to get REALLY uncomfortable. I can only sleep on either side but to roll over takes practically an act of god. So, I really don't roll over too much during the night. Which SUCKS because then if I do roll over, I wake up to attempt the act and the whole side of my body I had been sleeping on is asleep/numb. I'm looking forward to being able to sleep again with the discomfort of not being able to move. 

What I'm eating?
Still really digging the coconut yogurt/berry/chia/banana mix every morning. Also still eating quite a few walnuts. We've been grilling a lot since it's been so hot out here which has also been pretty tolerable. I'm not at the "everything sounds gross" phase that I was a week or two ago, but I'm still pretty finicky with what I'll put in to my body. Not sure what that's all about. I don't remember that with Owen at all. 

Weight I'm gaining?
152 pounds for this week. I was 151 weeks for week 35. Still right in line with where I expect to be. I will probably end up right around 155-160 when it's all said and done. I ended at 155 with Owen, or maybe it was 153 I don't really remember. 

How I'm sleeping?
See above. Bah. Can't get comfortable. Takes an act of god to move positions and then to try to get up and pee (which is inevitable) is even worse. 

What's the baby doing?
The baby is 18.75 inches, 5.75 pounds or the size of a crenshaw melon (we're back to the weird fruits... what in the hell is a crenshaw melon?!)
-At this point, the baby would be totally fine if he/she came out...  just fattening up in there and getting those lungs ready.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
I'm still nesting a bit, though a little less so. I've shifted gears a bit to try to get ready for Owen's second birthday party on August 17. Now THIS baby needs to cooperate and wait until preferably after Owen's ACTUAL birthday to make his/her appearance. I keep thinking- the inevitable way to guarantee labor will happen- schedule something. But, hopefully all will go to plan and we'll be able to have the party without new baby in tow. Anyway, we did a lot of house stuff this week but I would say that was more a function of trying to get ready for the party than the new baby. We did put the newborn carseat in the car which was something clearly for the newbie. And OH MY GOODNESS. I did not remember how small (but heavy) that thing is. Dang. 

We are also on to our now weekly visits with the midwives. This week was the strep B test which came back negative (which is good). It's basically a swab of your nether regions to see if you have strep b. If you do, and if it was positive, we'd just have to give me some antibiotics during labor so that the baby didn't come out and catch the virus. But, we are all good so nothing to worry about. 

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)

I don't remember contractions hurting so bad with Owen. Apparently you are just more sensitive the second time around. I actually really don't remember many braxton hicks at all with Owen. And if I did, I wasn't even sure if they were REALLY braxton hicks. This time there is no mistaking them. It's like a yucky period cramp that gets your attention enough to where you're like, "HELL." Or some other choice word. Not enough to make you cringe or stop in your tracks, but I swear with Owen, I only noticed them because I was really trying to. I think because my body has done this before, it's just more sensitive to them so I am more aware of what is going on. Apparently a lot of moms that go in for the birth of their second kids come in at already 3-4 cm dilated because the braxton hicks are so much more effective the second time around... I guess that would make sense. If your body has done it before, it kind of knows what's going on. 

No comments: