Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Pregnancy Round 2: Week 35.

It's hard to believe that we are getting so close. I know that I have complained incessantly about how SLOW this seems to be going this time, but as things work, now that we are right at the final lap, I'm kind of (REALLY) freaking out about the fact that a baby is going to be here... and soon. I still don't know that I've quite processed the fact that we are going to have a real live baby. That sounds so dumb, but I just haven't really gotten enough time to sit down and think, yep, a baby is going to be here. So that would mean TWO KIDS (and also everything that comes WITH a baby: breastfeeding, lack of sleep, complete dependence).... I feel like I still need to process all of that but I don't think I'm really going to face that reality until the baby is in fact here. In just a few weeks. It's probably better to not think about it too much. Eek.

Pictures:


Week 35 side view.


Week 35 front view.


Week 34 side view.


Week 34 front view. I don't know, does it look different? I have no idea.


How I'm feeling?
Ah, not too bad, not too good. Getting to the point of pregnancy where I really just feel over it. I feel like a freaking cow that can barely walk (waddle) along and am consistently getting people telling me "good luck" or "you look great" or "WOW, when's the date?" Or the lady in whole foods today who said, "is this THE trip?" Um, what trip? You know, the last trip to stock up before baby. Oh. Nope. Unless something happens that I am not planning on. Just so happens I haven't been to the grocery store in a while. You know it's starting to get close when you get double looks as to DANG, she's HUGE and all of the above comments. I can't decide if I like the comments or not. In some ways I do because it means I'm close. In some ways it's a little bit defeating when I have to say, "whelp still have several more weeks!" 

And by the way: I really REALLY hate when people say I look great. I know the intentions are good and everything but I don't FEEL like I look great so I just wish they would shut up. I feel like I freaking tanker truck. I can't see my feet unless I have them up at which point I can tell that they are the size of my head. I can barely shave my legs, I'm bloated, I feel just gross. So, I just want to slap the next person that says I look great. I guess it's better than "you look like hell" but I would rather we just not talk about it and just ignore the elephant in the room that is my huge protruding stomach. 

Luckily, Justin's leg is getting gradually better. We are still quite the pair waddling around and god help us both when Owen takes off in a sprint but I do have an inkling of faith that by the time this baby arrives, he will be in at least a better spot to be able to function more normally.  

I'm still working out- nothing too exciting. I'm just walking the old running hills like I mentioned before and lifting weights a couple of times a week. It's enough to feel like I'm doing something which is what I'm going for. These days I have to have distractions. I cannot just sit around otherwise I start to REALLY freak out about impending labor. Either that or debate cleaning the floors with a toothbrush. 

How I'm changing?

First of all, this: hello, cankles, how I have not missed you! Partly attributed to the heat, partly due to this stage of pregnancy and major water retention.  Either way: not too comfortable, but at least it's just my ankles and my hands so far are fine. Still wearing my wedding ring with no issues. Don't look too closely to see if I need a pedicure. I'm sure I do, but haven't been able to take a close look myself.


Also this week: continued contractions. I think they started this time around last time too. This time I'm much more sensitive though, for whatever reason. Because I've been through it before or because my ab muscles are weaker, who knows. It feels so bizarre though... like period cramps that come and go. Enough to get your attention and sufficiently cause you to freak out. 

What I'm eating?
Nothing sounds very good still. Justin has been cooking for me because he thinks I'm not eating enough. It's not purposeful, just nothing sounds good. I did discover coconut milk yogurt this week which I mix with frozen blueberries, chia seeds, and banana and this is AMAZING. I also am really liking cheese, which is odd as I typically hate cheese when not pregnant. Justin also make me a couple of really amazing egg scrambles which was awesome as I was able to get both some protein and some veggies. I also was able to find some gluten free animal crackers which are pretty much the best things ever. The only two other things that I have been able to consistently stomach this week are apples and walnuts. Weird. Oh, and sparkling water. I am pretty much keeping all the sparkling water companies in business. 

Weight I'm gaining?
151 pounds for this week. I was 148 weeks for the two previous weeks so knew that a few pound gain was coming. Not to mention the fact that I am swollen beyond belief so probably a good chunk of that is water retention. Since I'm still in the "normal" weight gain range, it's not really a cause for concern.  

How I'm sleeping?
Not terrible. I get up a couple of times a night now to pee. Owen is sleeping great so this is a bit of a cruel joke since it's probably the last stretch of good sleep I will get for the better part of a year (or more)... boo hoo. But, I feel like no matter how much I sleep (even if in segments), I'm still completely fatigued. I think the baby is just growing and the heat just makes me tired. 

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 18 inches, 5.25 pounds or the size of a honeydew melon (hey, another fruit/vegetable I recognize!)
-At this point, the liver is functional and capable of processing waste products which is the main thing that was completed this week. Other than that, the baby is just bulking up.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
Still in that "nesting" phase where I am freaking out a little bit about what needs to be done for the baby. We bought a new pack and play, figured out an extra car seat base, and really solidified our bags for when I go in to labor. Owen's bag is totally packed... ours still has a bit left. Justin also did a few things for the house despite his bum leg. I think he's also started to get in the "holy crap we are going to have a baby soon" mindset. We also saw the midwives (weekly appointments from here on out!) and everything looks great. Baby is a little "off center" but is head down and heart beat looks great. The off center thing should work itself out by go-time. They don't measure you for dilatation or anything like that at midwives, so who knows how close (if at all) I am. 

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)

I know I've mentioned it before, but it is worth mentioning again because it's been so prevalent this week. I am beyond freaked out about labor. Anxious, paranoid, sweaty palms, just flat out FREAKING. Literally I said to Justin last night, "I don't want to go to sleep because then I am one more day closer to labor." (Told you I am a head case right now in this regard). It is so weird because I had such an easy labor with Owen. It was seriously amazing and I will always remember and talk about it in that way. But for some reason, that doesn't translate to this baby. I keep thinking, "well it's a different pregnancy, different baby... anything could happen." I think it's just the unknown- not knowing WHEN, or HOW, or WHAT it will all be like. I'm definitely a control freak and have absolutely no control over this so I just feel like now that it's August and now that I am just a few weeks out, I'm just walking on eggshells waiting for the ball to drop. Justin tells me I was exactly like this with Owen. I don't really remember, but he's probably right. Once I was in labor I was totally calm so I guess that's how we'll know once it's the "real thing." Until then, I'll probably continue to be completely freaked out. 

No comments: