Monday, May 5, 2014

Pregnancy round 2: Week 20.

Halfway. Halfway. Halfway. OHMYGOSH, thank god we are HALFWAY.

 
Week 20 side view.

 
Week 20 side view last time (with Owen). Looks like I'm pretty much on par this time. Amazing, as I feel like I am 10000 times larger.

 
Week 20 front view.
 

 
Week 19. (Maybe week 20 was the pop out week?!)

 
Week 19 front view.
 
How I'm feeling?
One good week, one bad week. Week 19 was really by all means relatively pleasant. Week 20? Ugh. It was like I was back to week 10. I had morning sickness again (AGAIN! And also: I would like to punch something because even just this "teaser" morning sickness was some cruel joke). I was SO tired (IE: first tri tired where you can barely move). And worst of all, I was SO dizzy. I couldn't even move, I was so dizzy. I started to drink some electrolytes and it really helped. Later in the week, we went to the midwives and had an ultrasound and my blood pressure was REALLY low (IE: 90/60 when it's normally 110/70), so that was probably contributing to the dizziness. Being sick and dizzy is maybe the worst thing ever even when not pregnant. When pregnant, it is just torture.
 
How I'm changing?
Obviously just growing a babe. And clearly, my body is adapting in odd ways. IE: the low blood pressure. Apparently low blood pressure is really common and "peaks" at it's low point in the middle of the second trimester (look at that, RIGHT ON TRACK). It's due to hormones and increased circulation which reduces the blood pressure.
 
What I'm eating?
Really anything and everything at this point. No weird cravings to speak of anymore and thank GOD I am off the carbo loading train. That was just gross. I usually eat egg whites and spinach in the morning with a banana and peanut butter, salads for lunch, and whatever works for dinner. Usually we come up with something creative, but needless to say, there are now COLORS involved in pretty much every meal. And I have not consumed anymore 3 pound boxes of Costco cinnamon toast crunch. That was an amazing feat and I am somewhat proud (or embarrassed) to admit that I did this in just a few days (much, much earlier on in the pregnancy).

Weight I'm gaining?
135 pounds this week. I was 133 for the prior two weeks, so I'm still right on about the one pound weight gain per week. I was 133 this week last time with Owen so still tracking about the same as with him. Still thinking I'll be in total at a 35-40 pound gain overall which is just about perfect.
 
How I'm sleeping?
Sleeping great but not enough. We sleep from about 10pm to whenever Owen wakes up- anywhere from 4:30am to 7am. The 7am times are AWESOME. And usually happen on days when we have to wake up at 5am.
 
What's the baby doing?

-The baby is about 6.5 inches or the size of a small cantaloupe (also in one report was compared to a butternut squash...take your pick)
-The baby's skin is becoming covered with a waxy-like substance called vernix which protects the skin
-The baby is also starting to produce meconium, the result of digestion which accumulates in the bowels until birth (lovely!)
-Other than that, the baby is just continuing to grow, grow grow (and will from here on out).


What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
Whelp. Nothing.
 
OH! We did go to a midwife and ultrasound appointment this week- does that count? Ultrasound showed that everything was perfect, even the prior heart regurgitation had corrected itself (as they had anticipated it would). Midwives were happy with everything as well, so everything looks perfectly on track. We still didn't find out the sex, so no hopes now of knowing- at least not until birth day!

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)

Best thing ever: feeling the baby move. Hands down worth all the crap of pregnancy just for feeling that. It's getting strong enough too that Justin can feel it (it? She/He...) now too. Pretty freaking sweet.  

No comments: