Thursday, June 28, 2012

Week 30.

Well, here we are. In week 30 and now on a serious countdown. In some ways it is going way too fast and in some ways I am totally OVER THIS pregnancy thing (and increasingly more so by the minute). Pictures:  


Week 30 #1.


Week 30 #2.


Week 29 for comparison.

How I'm feeling?
Really starting to get the whole uncomfortable thing. NOTHING is comfortable. My hips hurt, my feet get swollen, I'm developing a waddle, some days I can't breathe. It's just.. well, uncomfortable. And yeah, this is a beautiful process and you know, I'm growing a BABY. The novelty of the whole thing is not lost on me and sometimes I can get pretty sappy about it but it just doesn't happen when I feel like a bloated whale that is getting kicked and jabbed consistently in one set of ribs or the bladder.

I also am still having some leg cramps but they are mostly under control if I manage my electrolytes. I also had a very random thing this week where my left nipple just about fell off. Well, not really, I don't think it was every going to fall off but I swear, there was a razor in my bra that was working to slowly cut it off. I'm told this is normal. I guess it least it was just one nipple and not both? Trying to be positive here.

How I'm changing?
I don't even know how to answer this anymore... just getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And then bigger some more. Everything says as labor approaches you'll experience more mood swings but I'm not quite there yet. I do notice though that my hormones tend to act up everynight and I get pretty anxious about this whole "baby coming out" thing...labor, then caring for a newborn, and then, you know, the fact that I'll have a KID. But, by the morning, I'm generally back in control and not anxious about anything. I think it's hormones.
What I'm eating?
Back home, back to normal eating habits. Plain greek yogurts for breakfast have been a staple lately and I'm still liking the whole mexican theme for dinners (IE: meat, rice, beans, salsa, veggies).

Weight I'm gaining? 
I was 142.5 this week... back to the steady gains. I think this is going to be a consistent theme through August. I think I'm going to be 155 at the end of all this. HOLY CRAP.

How I'm sleeping?
Still getting up to pee 2-3 times a night but I'm sleeping ok. I think it could be much worse.


What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 15.7 inches or the size of a cabbage and weighs about 2.75 pounds
-The baby is just growing and growing and putting on fat (as such, amniotic fluid continues to decrease).
-Your baby continues to develop his/her eyesight but it's not very developed. Even after birth eyesight continues to develop.
What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
-We got the nursery in GREAT shape. It's pretty much put together with a few remaining things to do. More on that in a separate post. 
-We visited with our doula for the first time and I think are both excited to work with her. 
-We went to the midwives- all looks good, is measuring right on target BUT the baby is still breech. His head is about right smack in between my boobs, though slightly lower, with his back/butt resting on my right ribs (thus the discomfort there) and his legs crossed and angled down. This is a complete breech position and no one seems to be too worried about it. I guess at 30 weeks a big chunk of babies are breech but by 36-37 weeks, only 3% are still breech. Because I'm me, I decided to do whatever I can to help him to flip. I am going to start seeing a chiropractor and an acupuncturist and I've also been doing some inversions to aid in the process (IE: see below). My midwives said none of this is even remotely necessary until 34-35 weeks as most babies flip on their own but I figure it can't hurt, so why not?  



Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
I sort of freaked about the whole breech thing. I think it's just that I don't have control over it and I am definitely type A and want things the way I want them. I think another subtle lesson I have learned this week is that this is just not something I can control. I could stand on my head 400 times a day but, at the end of it all, I STILL might have to have a c-section because he hasn't turned. It has been humbling to come to peace with that but I've started to and I think that's the biggest thing I've learned this week- accepting things you can't control and being ok with it (IE: parenthood).