Monday, January 16, 2012

2012: empowerment

So the start of 2012 has been, well, interesting. We'll call the first full week of 2012 a wash- I flew to Spokane for a client on the 3rd, then the last few days of the week no one was really working THAT hard. Plus, I had my own things to take care of.

I mentioned that my word for 2011 was passion, right? Well, the word that kept resounding in my head as we plowed full force towards 2012 was empowerment. I wasn't exactly sure why or what this meant for the year ahead but it became inherently more clear as the first couple of weeks of 2012 unfolded. 

Basically, empowerment for me this year means taking my life into my own hands and embracing whatever it hands to me. Including change that may be hard especially as I am fairly comfortable with many things in my life just as they are. 

I don't talk about work much on this blog for obvious reasons. There is a lot of confidentiality in the business that I'm in and plus, I just think that discussing work matters in a public forum can really not do much for you other than get you in trouble. That being said, I'm going to talk about work now.

Before I left for Kansas City, I had a rather serious talk with a partner at the firm I am with now. That conversation, coupled with MANY conversations I have had over the past two years with about a thousand different people led me to seriously consider my future there, or lack of. I didn't see any growth potential for where I wanted to go in my career at this firm but on the other hand, I also was very comfortable in this firm. I turned down a job offer a few months ago because I liked my staff and was comfortable with the status quo. I liked working in the same building as Justin and honestly my job was EASY. I have grown complacent and really didn't have to try very hard to do well. Frankly, I just stopped caring...it was easy and I really didn't have to care much And at the end of December, I finally admitted these truths to myself fully, even though I'd known them all along deep down. The discussion I had with the partner at my current firm centered around where I wanted to go in my career and my thoughts prevented me from fully admitting that I had a future at this firm. 

Finally accepting that myself, one thing led to another and as we rang in 2012, I resolved that this year I would be empowered to take control of my life. It's my 30th year here on this earth and I deserve to be truly fully happy and fulfilled in a career that I am good at and working with people that I respect, that I value, and that value me and what I have to offer. Currently, that was not happening. 

We got back from the Oregon coast, and with the amazing contacts that I know, I was able to get a job offer from another local firm in town that I have always admired for their integrity, for their willingness to grow people, and for their culture and reputation within the local community. They are very highly regarded in the region and my only regret is that I took so long to seek them out in this more aggressive way. Sometimes it takes a shift in focus to really do what's right and best for yourself. Pay is the same, job is the same. Growth potential is HIGHLY different as is the culture and the reputation of the firm. Big plus.

That brings us to Monday January 9th:


The alarm went off at our normal time of 4:50 am (yes, trust me, I throw up a little in my mouth every day at the audacity of this time). This was, however, anything but a normal day. It was the day that I was going to tell my current firm I would be resigning. A hard, but easy, decision if that makes any sense. Hard in the regard that I don't WANT to leave the people I know there and the comforts that I know there, easy in the regard that this IS the best decision for me and my family long term. 

I told my boss and as expected it was a big shock.  I kept getting the question, "Are you sure?" Um, yes. Not many people in this industry give notice in January, nor at the level I'm at, and certainly not to go to another public accounting firm (especially a competitor only a block away). Of course, my main priority was transitioning my clients in an easy manner and of course, not burning any bridges on the way out. As much as it was time to leave that firm, I do cherish the time I had there for many reasons. We came to the decision that, given my workload, my last day would be Friday the 13th. So, I worked the week and on Friday,  I had my last day of work at the firm I'd been with for almost 5 years. 

It was bittersweet, but really, honestly, mostly sweet. It was a relief to feel that I'm going to a better place and am not just going to be going through the motions for the next day/months/years as I've been doing. There is so much better use of my time. 


On Friday the 13th, I packed up my office, worked out at lunch one last time with Justin, and right before my exit interview, I got the above care package from the best husband. 


I then headed out to happy hour with some new colleagues. Above, a thai sangria. 


We also ordered what was called "death in the pacific" a giant skull drink that tasted pretty much like a cherry jolly rancher. 

After celebrating with friends, new and old friends and colleagues, I went home to our family- Justin, the boys, his mom, Jordan (Justin's brother), Stephanie, and baby Isla. We made a big pasta dinner for everyone and celebrated some more for the changes in Justin and I's life. 

We then spent the weekend with the boys- watching football and having a snow day on Sunday (QUITE entertaining getting them to Seattle to ride the bus home on Sunday afternoon...and even worse for them, it took them 8 hours to get home. It's normally a 2 hour drive. YUCK). 

Bonus for the next week: I don't start my new job until January 23 so I have a full week off work to relax and recharge AND my friend Ashley is flying in from Texas so I'll have time to spend with her. I think the bottom line in all of this is simply, 2012 is going to be a great year. 

No comments: