Saturday, June 11, 2011

Trip to the midwest. June 11, 2011.

Perhaps the most boring title ever, I apologize.

We got into Kansas City at around 10pm Friday night. And then listened to an incredible thunderstorm around midnight. It was like a welcome back present to me from my hometown. I do miss a good thunderstorm. Though with the Joplin tornado fresh in everyone's head, it was a little freaky.

After a bit of sleep, we woke up the next day ready to hit the gym. And let me just say, if I haven't mentioned it before- gyms in the midwest are HILARIOUS. I did not KNOW it was possible to work out in carharts and cowboy boots. I also did not get the memo that I should be working out in carharts or cowboy boots (or both!) OH, and average age of people there? About 88. And I'm pretty sure they could have kicked my ass. Justin and I stick out like sore thumbs when we go to this gym.


After the gym we OF COURSE had to get root beer milk.


I think this root beer milk might be one of the top three reasons (if not the top reason) that Justin agrees to come back to the midwest with me. He's in love. With the milk. "It's like a root beer float." (and Jenn gags). Root beer = nasty Milk= nastier and the combination = gag. But, I'm glad you love it baby!


Did I mention how incredible the weather was back in Missouri on this day? It was PERFECT. About 80 degrees, sunny, no humidity. We agreed that everyone that was complaining about the heat back there in the prior week was lying. No way could it go from sticky hot to perfect. Oh wait. We are talking about the midwest here. Sorry, had a quick lapse of memory on the fickle midwest weather.


Anyway, regardless, we took the opportunity to sit out on the back porch to enjoy the weather for a long while before we had to be at our next stop...


...which just so happened to be a picnic wedding celebration in (I have really no clue where but somewhere remote and rural) Missouri for one of my best friends from college, Miss Jill and Kyle (who had been married earlier that morning!) Wow, overuse of parenthesis- sorry.


A shot of our spot for the afternoon. I do miss a good midwestern picnic on a farm. Nothing quite like it.


And above- a shot of all of the girlfriends from college with the beautiful bride in the center. PLUS, there are THREE babies in tummies up there too! (NOT MINE). Although, I swear everyone we know is pregnant so hopefully that baby virus doesn't hit me too soon... More pictures of the pretty girls to follow in our little photo shoot:




After hanging out for a few hours visiting with old friends, Justin and I took off to head to Lenexa, Kansas where we went straight to my aunt and uncle's new house. They just moved back to the midwest from San Francisco (I KNOW). Their house is gorgeous and we spent the night sitting on the patio, chatting, drinking wine and eating. It was great to visit with them and even though I know it was a tough move, it's great to have them in a place that I know I'll see them more frequently. Of course, I was so wrapped up in talking with them, I forgot to take pictures. Oh well.

After spending several hours with my aunt and uncle, we headed home... it was a day full of fun- one of the 10 days of perfect weather the midwest has a year, good, old friends, happy occasions (congrats Jill and Kyle!) and catching up and spending time with family. Doesn't get much better.

No comments: