Friday, June 24, 2011

After a particularly hellish week...

I was surprised by my wonderful boyfriend, yet again, with an awesome care package complete with nut butters, protein bars, water, and flowers. Oh, and got  a special delivery from him to give me these things. All of my favorite things! I think he was partly concerned for me that I might die. Only my problem was wasn't lack of nutrition, mostly stress and lack of sleep. Which by the way? Who are those people that DON'T eat when they are stressed/or tired? They LOSE weight at these times. I want to punch them in the face. When I am stressed and tired, all I DO is eat. And eat terrible... well, terrible for me. Basically I ate 400 pounds of peanut butter last week. Like the big vats of Adams peanut butter from Costco that is "supposedly" 72 servings. Um, yeah. Gone. Some might label peanut butter as health food but I'm just guessing here that when you consume massive quantities of essentially fats (ahem, "healthy" fats), it's really not so healthy. But I was stressed. And tired. And only wanted peanut butter, chocolate, and a side of wine. As it always goes.

The week (in JUNE, might I add. HELLO WORK GODS, it is JUNE) was one that was a mini busy season revival. Yes, I realize how unfair this is. Usually this week of hell hits in, oh, May. Which is bad enough since it is May and all but June? Ludicrous. It kept getting pushed back so I knew it was inevitable and I knew it was going to be rough but I had sort of forgotten (or at least blocked) what it was like to work hard and long and how much energy that just sucks out of you. In busy season it's one thing but outside of busy season? You just aren't prepared for those kinds of hours. And thinking that hard, MY GOD, my head hurt from thinking so much. You have to realize that us CPAs really only use our full brain capacity for about three months out of the year, maybe 4. After April until after summer? We are pretty much on OFF.

So anyway, yes, wah wah wah, it was rough. I know, things could be worse, I could not HAVE a job, or be homeless or have no food or warmth or have some terrible disease. I KNOW. But, it was hard and now I am just going to continue to whine for a second here. By the end of the week I was operating on about 3 hours of sleep and couldn't even form clear sentences if I tried. I'd used too much brain capacity? Maybe. So maybe I was also forgetting to eat too, thus, my boyfriend's worry about my lack of nutrition. Though I seriously doubt it judging by the fact that my pants fit tighter and the peanut butter was gone. Perhaps existing solely on peanut butter for the week put me in some sort of nutrition deficiency? Or maybe I forgot to drink water. I don't know. It was all a blur. I do remember that the three hours of sleep was made worse by the fact that when I was sleeping, I was DREAMING about work and the plan of attack for when I eventually go to the office. At which point, I woke up and said, "Screw it" let's just get this show on the road. So by the end of the day, I looked and felt like I'd been on some sort of crack for thirty years. BUT, I met the deadline. WIN. And then in my infinite wisdom (which I always get when I'm exhausted), I decided to do my long run anyway that was planned for that day. Oh really, body, you're going to crash on me NOW? Screw you, I'm running anyway. It's called adrenaline, or a natural high from finishing the deadline... USE IT. For 5.5 miles. I did it. And then I died. FAIL. 

The next day- the care package. After a bit of sleep. And meeting the deadline. Finally. I felt slightly more alive. And it was Friday so that automatically made everything better. Date night at our favorite sushi place in Seattle with some good wine and chocolate + more peanut butter for dessert followed in the day after the care package. Then, I remembered. It's not busy season. This was short lived. I made it. It's almost July. SUMMER. All became right with the world again. 


Gorgeous roses.


Oh, yes, and he also got me a PLANT. And I love him for continuing to believe in me and the fact that one day I'm going to find my connection with plants. That being said, bets on when I will kill this one? We all know how awesome my green thumb is.

No comments: