Sunday, November 14, 2010

Puppies, the ride of death and a wedding.

Sure SOUNDS like an interesting weekend, right?

It was.

It started off with an early morning run for me as Justin had to work and I tagged along so that I could run. After an hour, I wrapped up my run and he was finished working.

He casually told me that he had been invited on some bike club ride but he'd be back in an hour or two, no big deal. I had my doubts about the length of this ride but I kept my comments to myself and went on home. Since the boys and I were just hanging out until Justin got home, I decided to take them to see 2 day old puppies that the girl Tim lives with has at their house (she's a vet assistant so she got to bring them home to take care of them). Both of the boys like dogs so it seemed like a good way to get out of the house while we were waiting for the one, oh wait, FIVE hours till Justin dragged himself home from his ride. Ahem. More on that later. We made it to Tim's house and were BLOWN AWAY by the cuteness of these puppies. They were absolutely THE smallest things I have ever seen in my life:

Oliver holding one of the two day old puppies (both were females), Bailey is petting the mom who seems a little wary of why we are touching her babies.

One of the puppies... apparently they are a boxer/Chihuahua mix. Interesting.

Me with one of the puppies.

And one more shot.... SO stinkin cute.
After that adventure, it had been 4 hours since Justin had left on his ride. I will refrain from gloating "I told you so" but really, I told you so. The kids and I decided to head to the mall since we had nothing better to do and at this point, I knew that if Justin had been out riding for that long, he was going to be completely wasted the rest of the day. LITTLE DID I KNOW, the actual reality of the ride. I got a call on the way to the mall, "I THINK I DIED BABY." Well, you're still talking to me so I guess not. He was on his bike, almost back to Bellevue and had been riding hard for 4-5 hours... with competitive cyclists (one of which was Tyler Farrar). He said at one point he almost called me to come pick him up in South Seattle, it was that bad... and this is a guy who rides regularly and is in GREAT shape. I mean, it's sort of his job to be in great shape. But it takes it to a whole different level when you're riding with competitive cyclists. So, since he was almost back to Bellevue, we swung to his house and picked him and his poor tortured body up before heading to the mall. The rest of the night was spent relaxing and recuperating... I think he was in much more pain than he really let on but I think that was also because he was afraid of the "I told you so" that was a given to come out of my mouth if he started to really talk about it... we've deemed that ride as the ride of death, but I think he had fun anyway and I'm sure he'll be riding with those guys again soon, regardless. Who doesn't like to have their ass kicked and humbled every once in a while?

The next morning, we went to a friends' wedding. It was absolutely gorgeous. Of course, I got no great pictures other than the one above of Justin taking a picture of the bride and groom. Oh well. It was a noble effort. The couple is Indian so the ceremony was a Western ceremony but for the reception, the bride put on a sari which was just breathtaking. And of course all the food was Indian food. It was delectable! All in all, it was a weekend full of memories, fun, friends, food and family....oh, and the ride of death. Can't beat it.

No comments: