Monday, January 26, 2009

Poisoning the boys mind.

My poor husband.

I am poisoning him with pop culture.

Since we are now just a married couple, we have gotten into the "popular" shows on during prime time. I used to watch all of these shows, but I admit that I haven't really been real tuned in for a couple of years. Even though I haven't been very into prime time TV for the past year, I still always manage to pick up a people magazine every now and then to get the latest and greatest gossip in pop culture. Or, I would look online... or watch E or Extra. I don't know why, it's stupid, but I kept up with it.

But this year? I have introduced Tim to the Bachelor. Granted, I haven't watched the bachelor since Trista and Ryan's bachelorette wedding in college days. BUT this bachelor is from our hometown up here in Seattle. And pretty much all eyes in Seattle are on this guy. Us too.

I also introduced Tim to American Idol. He has never seen it before (seriously). I mean, I can't really blame him... he used to be solely involved in training on his bike 24-7 and then he was in school 24-7. This is the first year in a long time that he has actually had any time, even though his schedule is still quirky (comes with the healthcare territory, something most business and accounting people will never relate to).

Anyway, so a couple of nights ago we had a nice dinner together and were just hanging out for the night. We flipped on American Idol. At first Tim groaned about watching it until he started seeing the progression of the show (laughing at the horrible people, being amazed by good singers). There was a point in the show where a contestant was ooing and ahing over Paula Abdul (and how he used to be such a huge fan, his first concert was one of hers, blah, blah, blah). And Tim, goes, "oh, yeah, I remember her. Wasn't she the one that had the superbowl revealing?"

As someone who is slightly more in tune, my mouth hit the floor and the first thing that I said was, "seriously?" And laughed, thinking he was joking. It reminded me of a prior contestant on American Idol... the judges just thought she was singing bad on purpose, as a joke. Um, nope. Wasn't a joke.

I quickly realized that and said, "No, no, that was Janet Jackson, honey."

To which he responds, "Ooh... wait, now, she isn't related to Michael is she?"

And then I fall on the floor and clutch my stomach in laughter... I mean, first of all, the first songs I sang were probably Paula, Janet, and Mariah. From the time I was 4, I knew these gals and would never get them confused. And then I did the moon dance with Michael once I got older and knew everyone of his brothers and sisters' names. It was funny to me that someone grew up without this same experience. But who can blame him? He's a guy that was more into sports and bikes than music and pop culture. Probably pretty typical.

But I did do the only logical thing I knew how to do at the moment. I stopped laughing, gave him a hug, told him that it is probably better that he does not know so much about pop culture (I mean, really, who really needs to know that much?) and then I told him that I now had a blog post that I would be posting in the next couple of days.

It has been fun to have a bit of time at night... to do whatever we want. Eat a nice dinner, work out, spend time together whether it's watching TV or just hanging out... we both know that these days are getting more and more numbered as his schedule IS so sporadic and mine is just becoming consistent: work and work and work. Not my favorite time of year.

No comments: