Wednesday, October 25, 2006

CPA exam 101

I took the CPA exam on Monday. Let me tell ya, I can't believe that's something I have to experience three more times, probably more considering that I may have to take one or more of the sections over again. I'm not even CLOSE to exaggerating when I say that it is by far the hardest, most exhausting test I've ever taken. It's like all four years of accounting all balled up into 4 hours. I can't even explain how impossible it is to try to study for that. And we're only talking about one section here, peeps!

I took the financial section on Monday. I studied for about 30-40 hours straight beginning friday night through about Sunday afternoon at 5 when I experienced a mass breakdown that resulted in me throwing my financial book, running out of the house in tears, and thinking seriously about my career options aside from accounting. I went to the gym, came back more calm, realized I knew what I knew and took it easy Sunday night. Monday I reviewed a bit and then sat for the test at 10. I feel relatively good about some parts, not so good about others. Like I said, it's so comprehensive that it's impossible to know exactly what to study for and eventually in the process of studying you have to accept that you're never going to learn it all. At the end of the day, I feel ok about it. I know eventually I'll pass it and even if I don't this time, I know at least I got the experience.

After I walked out of the exam, I swear it felt like I was in a different century. I probably looked like I was on crack. Hell, I felt like I was on crack. I couldn't process anything. Nothing. Couldn't even focus on the road when I was driving. Stared at people blankly when they talked to me- including the Starbucks guy. It's probably a good thing it takes two months to get the results back... as stupid as that is. If I got them directly following the exam, I don't think I would have been able to process the results.

The next class section of the CPA exam review started Monday night- as in, yes, the same day I took the financial section of the test. This section now is auditing and it's AWESOME. So much easier than the last. I'll take that part of the test at the end of November. After that, I start regulation/tax in January (the next hardest section compared to financial) and then business law/ethics in February.

One down, three to go.

1 comment:

rachel said...

i am really proud of you for taking the CPA exam. It sounds extremely tough. It will really pay off once you are done, though! good luck!