Sunday, April 9, 2006

The most amazing tennis shot EVER...

For about two seconds I seriously was Lindsey Davenport...or so I thought. Last Sunday, at about 5:30 p.m. Tim and I decided to stop being lazy and go play tennis. We play tennis a lot at nights and on weekends when we have time and want to get a good workout. Well, last week, about ten minutes in, I had this idea in my head that I was Lindsey Davenport. Unfortunately, I forgot that I'm not nearly as conditioned as her. So, Tim hit this shot into the back right corner of my side... in the prior shot I was in the front left corner. I zoomed to the shot and I GOT IT BACK (see, Lindsey, I'm telling you-it was amazing. Tim was impressed until what happened next...)

Well, after I had run to get the shot, my foot kept running right even though my body and my head were moving back towards the left. So I completely rolled my foot and wiped out. I'm not kidding when I say that this is probably one of the top 3 worst pains I've ever felt in my life (it hurt so bad that I was ignorant to the fact that I wiped out and was lying on the court with all of these strangers looking at me like, "why the hell did she even go for that shot?")

After about 15 minutes of just writhing on the court on my back in pain, I decided I would try to stand up... I'm tough. Some pro football player (Donovan McNabb?) played with a broken leg for a whole game, I could keep playing recreational tennis with a sprain, right? Once I TRIED to stand up I realized that this was possibly the worst thought I've ever had. As soon as I stood up, I blacked out. Sweet.

After about 30 minutes of standing up, almost blacking out, and sitting back down, I decided we weren't going to finish our match. I wasn't so sure about one-legged tennis. Problem number two now comes into play: I decided that we should ride our bikes to the courts as an additional workout. Ugh. So I attempted the ride home with one foot... I made it but it hurt like (words I will censor) and it was slow going.

We went home, put ice on it, elevated it, etc. I decided it wasn't broken even though I couldn't stand on it. Brilliant.

The next day, I could sort of walk and managed to drive. It gradually got better over the week but during the course of the week it was about 3 times the size of my other foot and purple. And still killed. It's better now but it still hurts and is still sort of swollen and purple.

So, that's the story of the amazing tennis shot I got back. For the two seconds that I was Lindsey Davenport, the after affects were totally worth it... it really was an incredible shot!

No comments: