Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Baking phenomenons revisited

So, the other day my parents flew into town. Saturday, to be exact. Against my better judgement I went out with some people from work on Friday night. And planned to be home by 7. Which was extended to 8. Which was extended to 9. Which ultimately ended up being 10. Luckily, Tim cleaned the bathroom when he got home from work so the house was pretty clean in time for their visit.

However, I felt compelled to cook. Whenever I go to my mom's house, it's like visiting my own bake shoppe. There are goodies everywhere and good meals too many times a day to count... I honestly gain about 5 pounds every time I visit for a week. It's amazing to me that I stayed small when I still lived there. So I was going to cook Friday night. But seeing as how I picked something I wanted to do over something I needed to do, Friday night was scrapped.

So we got up Saturday morning and cleaned some then I began the baking marathon. I baked chocolate chip cookies, strawberry cookies, energy bars, pumpkin cookies, dips, and a lasagna. It was a lot. I've never cooked that much in one span of time in my life. Well, everything turned out ok, at least so it seemed. I was having a bit of a problem with the maple syrup icing on the pumpkin cookies. But I let it harden and it seemed fine. So I stored them away in a container. Two hours later, the icing was gone. What was hard icing decomposed to the consistency of water and pooled at the bottom of the container thus making the cookies look like I went out and dug up some mud and poured some pool water on them. Yuck. So, the thing I spent the most time working on (and the thing that was the hardest recipe) was ruined. But, BUT, everything else turned out great... That is progress, right?

Anyway, aside from baking, it's been great to see my family. My brother flies in today. We've shown my parents around and while we've been at work the last couple of days, they've been spending time on the golf course and at the pool. It's been a lot of fun...even without the pumpkin cookies!

1 comment:

P1 said...

You can gain five pounds after a week at home. I can do that in one meal! Especially if there are strawberry cookies available. They sound wonderful! (Sorry about the pumpkin cookies.)