Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Auto Pilot: Off

My husband puts up with so much. Last night he called me on his way home from work and we were both chatting about our respective days (mine much better than the day before, I might add-no lock outs occurred on any front) when he suddenly interrupted the conversation with "Crap! I forgot to get in the lane to get on the freeway. Now I have to turn around." He then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't talk on the phone and drive home-that I distracted him. I was completely baffled. So I laughed at him. Out loud. Like I said, he really does put up with so much. Did I mention that he is the best person I have ever met and that I could only hope to be as good of a person as he is?

Anyway, I laughed because he does this drive home from work every single day. Just like I do my drive home from work every single day. When I am driving home ESPECIALLY from work, I could simultaneously be driving, talking on the phone, and listening to the radio. I wouldn't even have to think about the drive.... in fact I know sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get home and realize that I just got home but I don't remember any of the drive from point A, the office, to point B, home. It's completely and totally auto pilot. It requires no thought. So, I thought it was tremendously funny when he told me I distracted him from being able to drive a drive that he drives every day... it's not like he was trying to find a new way home or anything... he does this every. single. day. I think his drive really IS auto pilot in general, just apparently not when he is attempting to multi-task. So, from now on I think he will wait until he is on the freeway to call me...then he won't miss the turn. He works hard, though, so I guess I can understand why his brain isn't totally engaged after a long day at work. And, hey, if his only fault is that he is not the most efficient multi-tasker, then I'm a pretty lucky girl.

2 comments:

rachel said...

hi. i have been so busy with school, i have not come over here to comment much! i have been reading, though!

i used to feel the same way driving home from work. I would be turning into home and not have any memory of how i got there. weird.

i walk to school now, but it is kinda the same thing. you get thinking about things and the time flies by!

bgunner said...

Don't worry - it gets worst with age.