Saturday, August 3, 2019

Day 57: August 2, 2019

I still wrote July in the title. AUGUST JENN. AUGUST. There is no point in beating the whole time thing to death. Clearly, I can't get my head around the fact that it's August. And also, actually, I will add to that: how do I have an almost 5 and 7 year old? Need to shake that one off a bit. Time... it just...goes. In the chemo land, it goes a little bit differently and a little bit more slow, but it goes.


Today, I saw a posting for a friend of mine who has a friend that was just diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. Young mom. Just had a baby four months ago. Just had some weird symptoms so ended up going to the ER.... to find out THAT diagnosis. Obviously, what we have experienced with Oliver is different in a lot of ways. BUT also similar. She's a young mom, otherwise healthy. It was a complete shock, from the way I understood it. Not unlike how we felt about Oliver. How does someone so young get something so completely brutal? And how in any, way, shape or form is it fair? Although a very different scenario (I can't even IMAGINE being post partum, two young kids... and then THAT... literally... my heart just breaks), the emotions, I assume, are very similar. The unknowns of what lies ahead, the determination to be healed, the anger at the injustice, the grief at your life being turned upside down from what should have been. I freaking HATE this story, and we have lived it. I hate it for her, I hate what I know they are likely going through. She is also going to be treated at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, who I do believe are one of the best, if not the best. But, my goodness, there are just no words sometimes.


On our end, Oliver was still feeling pretty great in this recovery period. Before leaving Wenatchee a shot with his cousin:



Bennett wanted to make sure that I took a picture of his sling to show grandma.... So here ya go, kid!


Our day was pretty uneventful. Owen had a play date with a friend, Bennett ran around like a crazy guy, I worked, and Justin worked to build a mailbox for our set of neighbors. All in all, a pretty normal day. We've had more and more of these lately, and it's good to feel like we are starting to get back in to a pattern.  The big happening was that Oliver had 5 buddies over who came to see him. There were a LOT of laughs coming from them, and what sounded like an epic monopoly game.
 


Building the mailbox. As per any Justin creation, it will be bomb proof.


These guys had their own wars in uno, as well.


One more shot in for #oliverstrong! Still loving when we see these!

No comments: