Monday, July 7, 2014

Pregnancy Round 2: Week 30.

Well here we are. Week 30. Definitely feels like a milestone because in my head I am in the SINGLE digits of weeks left until baby #2 is born. Owen was born at 39 weeks and a day, so I am convinced that this baby will be a week early. Therefore, 9 weeks left. And if it's 10 or 11, then I figure, the last two weeks I will just be utterly miserable and doing all sorts of song and dances to get him/her out... but it's one to two weeks of my life. So, there we have it- crazy pregnancy logic means SINGLE DIGITS LEFT. Related: CRAZY.


Week 30 side view. 


Week 30 front view.


Week 29 side view.


Week 29 front view.

How I'm feeling?
I am feeling pretty OK. I really feel like I can't complain TOO much. As much as I really dislike being pregnant for a myriad of reasons, they are all relatively minor. So in that regard, I'm doing pretty great. Lucky to be having a healthy pregnancy and to have a healthy baby. We are well past the marker of "if this baby is born now, what happens?" and chances are that the baby would be just fine, so that is huge. Again, very grateful that I am able to carry my babies and don't have any of the big pregnancy problems that I know so many people deal with. I'm grateful that we live in a place in this world where pregnancy is so "normal" and care is easily accessible. I can't even imagine what same people go through to have kids and my ranting and raving about my minor pregnancy ails giving that by all standards everyone is healthy, is not lost on me. I know I am lucky.

But, I do have minor complaints. Of course. It's been 30 weeks of this, do you expect anything less? I have never purported to be a "YAY I LOVE BEING PREGNANT" person. So, why start now? Of the minor complaints: my hips hurt. I can barely roll over at night without feeling like I'm 95 years old and need two hip replacements. It's probably comical to see me attempt to move around in bed and even more so to see me try to get OUT of bed, but man, they hurt. I remember this with Owen, too, and was amazed that shortly after birth the pain just dissolved. It's all part of the growing/stretching down there, you know, to fit a freaking HEAD through. Eek. I never have gotten one of those pregnancy pillows mostly because I think they look totally ridiculous and I don't really see a need to have a third "person" in our bed, as those things are essentially bigger than a person. Perhaps it would be awesome but I've always been too stubborn to try and at this point, I'm not going to for the last home stretch. 

Also new this week: I jinxed myself a while back by saying that my hormones have been completely under control this time around. They have come back with a vengeance this week. I'm weepy, anxious, cry over nothing. It's the ultimate pregnancy "what the hell" of emotions. 

How I'm changing?
I finally have gotten back that well-known pregnancy hair. My nails still leave a little bit to be desired (can't see my toes, but assume that they are in the same boat as my finger nails), but my god. The hair. It is SO THICK. I know that a lot of women love this about pregnancy but when it's hot here and relatively humid (by Seattle standards), I am not loving the incredibly thick hair. And, as a former very thin haired girl, I frankly just don't know how to handle it. We are going to have to invest in some serious drain de-clogger once it all starts to fall out post partum. 

What I'm eating?
Still eating about the same. Trying to eat a fair amount of protein and keep the carbs/sugar under control. And, of course, loading up on veggies and fruits. I did this week have a new craving that I haven't had before in this pregnancy: BBQ sauce. The hot and spicy kind. Not sure why but it sounded SO good one day while at the store, so I just went with it. Perhaps it was a missing my KC roots type of thing, who knows. 

Weight I'm gaining?
145 pounds this week, which is one up from last week. Again, still just plugging along. I should be right on track with the weight that I gained with Owen even though I feel much bigger this time around.  

How I'm sleeping?
Much better this week as Owen got better after his molars coming in last week. Phew! Kinda glad we got those out of the way. I'm getting up more every night to pee now, but that's to be expected as things are getting just a LITTLE bit cramped in there. 

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is 15.7 inches or the size of a cabbage and weighs about 2.75 pounds
-The baby is just growing and growing and putting on fat (as such, amniotic fluid continues to decrease).
-Your baby continues to develop his/her eyesight but it's not very developed. Even after birth eyesight continues to develop.

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
This was the week that I had to do the three hour glucose test after my failed initial test WHICH by the way, I found out from the midwives that I was right on the border for anyway. Border for needing extended testing is measured at a 130 mark (what the 130 stands for, I do not know). I was right at 130. So, basically it was a crap shoot of if I even needed the test. If I had known that, I probably would have opted out. But, that's neither here nor there as I didn't know that and took the dang 3 hour test. 

It was AWFUL. Some people say it's not that bad but they are crazy. You fast for 12 hours, go to get your blood drawn, drink the most god awful drink you could ever imagine (IE: straight flavored sugar), wait an hour, draw blood, wait another hour, draw more blood, wait another hour, and final blood draw. By then you are not only starving but you've had a sugar crash, your arms look like you've shot up multiple times and oh, YEAH, you ARE pregnant which means that not eating plus sugar crash plus blood draws plus hormones = very unhappy person. In a lot of respects that part was better than I thought it would be although the first hour after drinking that drink on an empty stomach was really rough. As in, feel like you will blow chunks everywhere kind of rough. In fact there was a lady sitting next to me who I swore was going to throw up (the nurse brought a puke bucket next to her, that's how bad it was). If any of you know me or have been reading this blog for a while, you know I have a serious puke issue. I would go so far as to say that this was the worst part of the whole ordeal for me. Of course, I felt horrible for her, but still. YUCK. And if you barf, you have to start all over, another day. Can you imagine?!  

After that, I headed to the midwives for my once every two week appointment. Everything looks great- baby is still head down, heartbeat is great, I seem to be doing ok. So, all good. 

Oh, and I passed the stupid test with flying colors. Pass the chocolate, please. 

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)

I had a good friend who had a baby this week, and a day later our sister in law had our newest niece. We went to visit both in the hospital and it was AMAZING how small these babes were. Granted they were both 8+ pounds when born, but I just could not believe how teeny tiny they were. I still have it in my head that a 30 pound toddler (aka Owen) is going to pop out of me. I forget how fragile, small, and just helpless these new babies are. It's funny how even though two years seems like it's such a short time, the newborn stage seems so completely foreign to me. I know it will all come rushing back, but it's been blowing my mind that a) we are NEXT and b) we are going to have one of THOSE small things again. Dang. 

Sidenote: Owen was awesome with both. Touched them, kissed them, was interested in them. It was really cute and encouraging. I know that, as with any change, there will be an adjustment period for all of us but I am excited to give him a little brother or sister. 

No comments: