Sunday, March 11, 2012

16 weeks.

Another week down... and now we are "officially" at the 4 month mark. That seems both crazy and not at the same time. On one hand, I feel like I have been pregnant FOREVER but on the other hand, I feel like it's been no time at all. Very strange feeling. Let's get this silly belly picture over with shall we?



16 weeks- I tried a different view than normal although I'm not sure I like this view much better. And sorry also for the no face shots. I do this first thing in the morning. Trust me, you don't want to see that view.



The "normal" view at 16 weeks.


And 15 weeks for comparison. I think I look bigger this week. I FEEL bigger anyway.

How I'm feeling?

Feeling ok this week although the new thing this week appears to be headaches. There were only two days this week I didn't have a headache and funny enough, it was the two days that we were dealing with Justin's heart issue (click here if you missed that post). I guess that means maybe I need more stress/adrenaline in my life to make me forget about headaches OR my job causes headaches. Or maybe, it's just that headaches are pretty common in pregnancy (due to added blood in the body). Regardless, it was the week of the headache and it SUCKED. There's really nothing you can do. Yeah, I could take tylenol. No, I didn't. It wouldn't help so I'll deal.

Speaking of added blood: GROSS. I cut my leg shaving and I swear to god I bled for about 3 hours. It was incredible.

Other than the headaches, I've felt pretty good. No real sickness, no real tiredness (other than not sleeping after the hospital incident so I can't blame the pregnancy for that....)

 
How I'm changing?
I'm getting bigger! And bigger! And bigger! I'm truly starting to look pregnant. Saturday I sucked it up and went to buy maternity pants. I've been rocking the bella band as well as several pairs of pants that are just a couple of sizes bigger than normal but really? Not that comfortable. I knew eventually maternity pants were needed but I just couldn't do it. We went out and I tried them on and HOLY HELL. AMAZING. They are so comfortable. It's too bad they are so damn ugly (well, if you look at the underneath everything else at the GIANT elastic stretchy band above the "pants") but I would totally wear these on thanksgiving or something if I was planning on eating a lot.... So comfortable. And really, fairly cute without knowing they are maternity pants. I even spied some citizens preggo jeans that I might have to splurge on. My 7's and true religions still work with a bella band now but not for much longer... I am just having a hard time with the whole elastic band crap on such a nice pair of jeans....so for now, I'll wait on that one.


Also, what are all those pregnancy myths about awesome hair and skin? I'm not seeing those effects... My mother in law says I'm glowing but I'm not so sure about that. My skin is breaking out in ways it hasn't since I was 16 and my hair is definitely NOT growing like a weed OR luxurious. We'll wait for those things to happen.


I also haven't worked out much this week. In my sleep deprivation on Thursday I tried to go on a run. Not my brightest idea ever. I ran/lifted monday, walked Tuesday, tried to run Thursday and did prenatal yoga on Saturday. I'm not so sure that prenatal yoga counts as a workout though. I can totally see the benefits but it was more of the whole "making me stretch and relax" thing (which honestly, I probably need more than a good workout).

What I'm eating?
Carbs. carbs. carbs. I've eating more carbs (and butter) in the last month than I've eaten in the last two years combined, I can almost guarantee that. It's sort of revolting and sort of fascinating all at the same time. Today I woke up and was the closest I've come to puking in this whole time and the ONLY thing that mitigated it actually happening was eating 2.5 english muffins and part of a soft pretzal all with butter. The kid likes carbs. If I'd even TRIED to eat protein or something remotely "healthy" (like a salad) it would have been all over (the contents of my stomach, that is).

Weight I'm gaining? 
A lot, I don't know. I weighed myself at the beginning of this week and I was 125. I assume now I am creeping towards the 126-127 marker consistent with my 2 pound a week gain. I'm over it and have accepted it. I was pretty small (underweight so they tell me) to begin with so I'm probably going to gain more than some people. Whatever. I'm eating pretty healthy (the carb/butter combo in the morning is definitely the "low" point of my day in terms of health) and eating what sounds good so I can only assume it's what the baby needs at this point to grow. At the end of all this, the weight will come off.


How I'm sleeping? 
Well, hello, CRAZY PREGNANCY DREAMS. I've heard about you, but WOW. Insane. Last night I dreamed about my baby that was born who was the size of a doll. And I had to hide it because I didn't want anyone to know I'd given birth so early. So I hid it in my car all day and it got too hot. It was one of those dolls too that had "expressions" on their faces when you picked them up (kind of like a computer game or something). Sad face for unhappy, an X meant sick, some signal meant hungry, and a smile meant happy. My kid was big sad face and dying from heat with "x's" all over it. So weird. I've also had a lot of dreams about having the baby but I can never tell if it's a boy or girl. What does that mean? And also, I had a dream where I went in to labor, had the baby, it came out and no one would let me look at its crotch to see if it was a boy or girl. Very bizarre. Oh, and I'm still peeing once a night (at least) even though they SAY that as you get further into your 2nd trimester you'll start peeing less (and then pick it back up again in the 3rd). I think "they" are full of shit but whatever.

What's the baby doing?
-The baby is about 4.6 inches or the size of an avocado
-The baby's limbs are more developed, legs and arms are longer and are becoming more controlled in movement.
-The baby's skeletal system is developing more as calcium is deposited into the bones. Over the next couple of weeks, the baby's weight will double (IE: GROWTH SPURT...perhaps the reason for craving massive carbs?)
-The baby's head is much more erect and his eyes have moved closer together. The baby has also continued to grow fingernails and is starting to grow toenails.
-The baby's heart is pumping 25 quarts of blood EACH day (woah)...
-Some people start to feel the baby move this week (more on that later)

What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
We signed up for a birthing class in May-June that helps with natural childbirth. Should be pretty exciting. We are also looking in to hypnobirthing classes which also helps with pain management in natural childbirth. The two classes together should compliment each other really well.


We talked to our wedding photographer about maternity and newborn pictures so that's exciting (and of course yet something else to spend money on!). We also bought maternity clothes and I went to prenatal yoga like I already mentioned.

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
A couple of weeks ago, I had a repeat pap smear done by a new nurse practitioner recommended by a friend. In September, I'd had a pap smear by my old OB (who I fired) who also said that, again, I had "abnormal cells." This is nothing new for those of you who are old readers... you remember a year ago I had "abnormal cells" in the words of this doctor which turned out to be "not even visible" after a biopsy and nothing even remotely to worry about (even after entering the biopsy room filled with "what to do if I have cancer" pamphlets). What an asshole, and also: part of why she was fired. Anyway, so I decided I should maybe just get a repeat pap since I'd never done anything with that "abnormal" pap in September so I did (it's completely ok to get pap smears during pregnancy). Test result: totally normal, all results were 100% perfect. AWESOME. I was so excited and a bit validated since I did fire my old OB.

Also: the whole baby movement thing. I'm pretty sure I felt it Friday night. I'd just had dinner and was sitting on the couch with Oliver and Justin and I felt sort of weird bubbles in my lower abdomen. It's entirely possible it was gas but it felt different and I couldn't stop thinking about it- it got my attention in a way that gas really doesn't (oh yeah, and pregnancy gas? Seriously... a real thing. Totally hilarious). I haven't felt it since but I'm almost entirely sure it was the baby. Pretty coincidental, too, since Friday night marked a year to the day since Justin proposed to me.  It will be interesting to see if I feel more as the week goes on...it's only a matter of time.

In other random pregnancy thoughts: I still can't remember anything. It's the weirdest phenomenon. I write these blog posts from about a million lists I make as the week goes on (not kidding). Otherwise you'd have a post that says "I have no clue what happened this week. But I'm still pregnant. The end."

No comments: