Sunday, December 20, 2009

First few days in KC

I absolutely sucked at taking pictures for the first few days in Kansas City. One reason was that even though I brought the camera (Tim's- remember, mine broke when I dropped it in sand in Hawaii...) but I forgot the camera battery. Ugh. And I just didn't think of taking any phone pictures, which is surprising because I always had my phone with me. Oh well!

I had a busy first few days in Kansas City. I arrived on the 17th around 6pm. I spent that evening eating dinner and chatting with my parents at home. My mom just had rotator cuff (shoulder) surgery on her right shoulder about 5 weeks prior and 2 weeks prior had double eye (cataract) surgery. Why she choose to endure all of this torture within a month's time span, I do not know other than I guess she just wanted it all over (I think that insurance also played a factor...) Anyway, she has been debilitated for the past month meaning she hasn't been able to lift anything, drive, stir food (to cook), wrap presents, and additionally after her eye surgery she has been relatively blind. Needless to say, it was good that I got in early to help out for the holiday preparations.

On the 18th, my mom and I went on a MASSIVE shopping spree to finish christmas shopping (and for me it was a start/finish type of day since I had done NOTHING up until this point). We left our house around 10am (I drove her boat-aka van- since she can't). And can I just say how difficult it is to drive a big car versus my little mini? Just saying. We spent the ENTIRE day buying gifts for everyone- dad, Tim, Jon, and even me. I refused to buy her gifts though. I like surprises. We stopped briefly for lunch around 3pm and continued shopping until we literally were about to keel over. We finished everything though and got home at 10pm. That's TWELVE HOURS of shopping. I have never shopped that long in my entire life. We got lucky in that the crowds weren't bad at all. Oh and all that shopping which means walking? My achilles was SO HAPPY with me the next day as evidenced by me looking like a 100 year old trying to walk. Completely lame that it still sucks so much.

The next day I got up and decided to do some Christmas baking for everyone. I baked 6 batches of cookies (oatmeal raisin, 2 batches of christmas sugar, chocolate/peanut butter, strawberry, butterscotch). IT WAS INSANE. That's like 300 cookies. Also a first for me. I'm pretty sure that in the process I managed to eat about 100 cookies myself.

Later that day, I realized finally why I had booked my flight as early as I did... my mom informed me that there was a wedding that night for a close family friend (and a girl that I used to babysit when I was younger). SERIOUSLY I couldn't figure out why I had originally booked my flight for December 17th (even though it turned out ok that I got in so early since my mom did need help) but then when she told me that, I was all, OH YEAH. You did mention that back when I was looking at tickets in September. Good thing I am totally unprepared for a wedding and have NO CLOTHES to wear to it. Lucky for me, some of my Christmas presents that we had bought the day before came in handy. Since I already knew what they were, you know, because I picked them out, they got to be utilized a bit early since I figured jeans probably wouldn't be totally appropriate. So we went to the wedding which was beautiful and I stayed for about an hour of the reception before my girlfriend Carolyn picked me up and we headed to downtown Kansas City to the crossroads district (seriously, downtown Kansas City is much more impressive than it used to be. It has districts, and cuteness!) We went to JP's wine bar which was GREAT...the food, the wine, the company. Carolyn and I have been friends since, um, 4th grade... we lost touch after high school but coincidentally enough were both living in Phoenix at the same time so reconnected then (and subsequently we both left Phoenix for our guys around the same time). So great to see good friends to catch up- especially in such a cool setting with awesome food and wine.

The next day my mom and I took on the wrapping off all million presents. It took us literally SIX HOURS. Not kidding. I wrapped all million presents (actually probably literally 100) and she put bows on. It was crazy but we got it all done. After that, I began making soups for the next day...my dad's family was coming over for a "soup" dinner so I told my mom I'd make two soups (cheddar potato and chicken veggie noodle).

The following day, Monday, I got up and worked out (turns out to be a good thing because it was the last time I worked out for the remainder of the holiday....) then went to meet my girl Jilly for lunch at Lulu's noodles- another great place in downtown Kansas City. Jill and I were such great friends in college and roommates for a year. Our lives are surprisingly parallel and it seems like every time we catch up we realize that there is something else that we share with each other that the other person has also experienced. It allows me to connect with her on a level that I'm lucky to experience with friends. Not to mention, we always have endless things to talk about... especially now that I get to be totally jealous of her career in a more "naturopathic" setting as a chiropractor. It was so great to see her to catch up...as it is with all of my great friends that I get to see (even though I don't get to see them often enough!)

That afternoon, I made the other soup, my brother came into town, and I headed to the airport to pick up Tim from his flight. When we got back to my parents house, my aunt and uncle, their two daughters and one of their daughters 2 girls were all there. It was so awesome to see everyone and to catch up (can I say that a million times about everyone?!) and it was so fun to play with the little girls (ages 5 and 2). They were so much fun. I love being back in Kansas City for the holidays. It's such a nice feeling to be surrounded by so many members of family, friends and loved ones.

No comments: