Saturday, November 21, 2009

One of my new favorite things

I'm a big breakfast fan and have always loved oatmeal as an alternative for breakfast, especially in the cold months. In the health world, one of the newer crazes is steel cut oats. Why are these so good for you? The thought is that they are one of the most nutritious forms of oats in that they are the inner portion of the oat kernal and the supreme definition of "whole grain." So, that sounds great to me but the problem that I have is that they take FOREVER to cook. I have heard that you can put them in a crockpot overnight to soften them up but that just seems like a lot of work when I grew up on instant oatmeal. So, my newest find is Trader Joe's QUICK steel cut oats. They still have the great taste and nutritional value of steel cut oats but they cook in under 10 minutes. I have really been enjoying them lately. I've been adding certain things to them, depending on my mood: a handful of walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, nutmug one day and blueberries, walnuts, raspberries the next for a more "berry" oatmeal. It's fabulous!


No comments: