Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kansas City, baby!

We made the trip home to Kansas City from July 30-August 4th. It was a great time and I even got some of it captured in pictures! It helps now that I have a phone that I can actually use since we traded in our old phones for iphones. I did have a blackberry and I'm not sure how many people out there have used those but it's like trying to learn foreign language. I had it for 5 months or so and hated it. Anyway, that's a different post entirely. The point is that I had a phone in which I could actually take pictures on. So when I didn't have my camera, I had my phone and I snapped many more pictures than I normally would (the phone pictures are the smaller photos...camera pictures are the larger photos- and we only really got out the actual camera once, thanks to my mom!)

We had a great time seeing family, friends, etc. I was able to catch up with a friend that I was best friends with in high school and have known since 7th grade. I probably haven't seen her since our freshman year in college. It was great to spend the day with her having some girls time, getting pedicures, etc. We met up for dinner later that night with our husbands on the plaza. I'm noting this now because I did not snap any pictures that day. I also didn't snap any pictures of the day where we had about 35 good family friends over to my parents house for a lunch get together. That was a great time too. So nice to be able to catch up with people that have known me for so long.

Below are the pictures that I did capture of our trip:

Playing cards... lots and lots of cards. Love it.

And another card shot. Like my dad always says, our family plays cards and plays golf. This is a true story.


My parents just totally remodeled their deck a couple of months ago and for the get together with all of the family friends, my mom thought it would be a good idea to have an umbrella for the table so everyone would stay cool. So here is everyone putting the umbrella up.

A view of the little fountain on their deck. Their new deck is so nice. And of course, we had Seattle weather back in Kansas City when it was 100 degrees still in Seattle so we got lots of quality time just sitting outside and enjoying cooler weather.

More pictures of putting the umbrella/table together.

AND...golf! There are always many trips to the driving range with Dad to get the ole swing perfected.


And again... Trying to tweak it just a bit more. And yes, I golf just fine in jeans and flip flops, thanks. It's a driving range in Missouri. I don't have to wear "golf attire."

Tim working on cranking his ball out there. He got lots of lessons while we were there.

A picture of us in front of a bison out in Kansas. We went shopping all day and then to eat at this restaurant called Teds which is actually one of the only organic-y restaurants I've seen in the midwest (I'm sure there are more- I just am not there enough and have to go to restaurants-aka: steakhouses- to appeal to my midwest Dad's palate). They even had all natural straws. I was definitely impressed. They are known for their bison though, thus the huge bison.

My dad enjoying his cheeseburger. Beef. Not bison. Shocker, I know!

Mouth full of organic, all natural chicken sandwich... yum!

A couple of days later (on our last day there), the weather in Kansas City reverted back to Missouri summer weather as I remember it. Meaning: HOT. Also meaning: weather Seattle had experienced for the prior week. It was humid and 100 degrees. And what do we go do? In the heat of the day at 3pm we decide to go golfing. Yes! Here is Tim trying to find some shade right before we teed off.


And on the first teebox warming up...

My mom and brother hanging out waiting to tee off.

Dad and Jon in the cart probably watching one of us tee off...


Teeing off. We had the course to ourselves because it was so freaking hot. And because it was so hot, I am again not in golf attire. I decided I did not care, it was way too hot. So I rocked the flip flops and tank top again. No one said anything so I guess it was ok!

Tim taking the first sand shot he's ever hit. He actually did really well and got close to the pin! I wish I had that skill. I'm still not consistent with sand shots... best case scenario would be to avoid the traps but in golf when you try to do anything, you usually get the opposite result (meaning I always end up in the stupid traps).

And my brother, chipping it on. I'm telling you, this family loves golf.

Timmy chipping it on. He has a real talent for this silly game! It's quite impressive actually given he has never really played before joining my family. Although he said that he has always really wanted to learn. I can see why now- he's got some skill!

And my mom whacking away at the ball. It still amazes me that she can never practice and just go out and play and hit the ball as well as she does.

Since we had the course to ourselves, we got a little silly on about the 8th hole. Must have been the heat....

Hitting the ball off my dad's mouth.... He is trusting...

Putting on one of the last holes.
I love golfing with my family. It's so fun! It's just fun to be out there with them and to realize how cool it is to have such a good family (and friends) who are always there for you regardless of how far away you live. I was really sad to leave. But, we already have our plane tickets back for the holidays in December! I will be there for longer time then so I'm hoping that I can see more of my old college friends then...

No comments: