Sunday, August 16, 2009

Walk for wishes

This morning the make a wish foundation of Seattle had their first 5K walk for wishes in the Seattle area and it was the perfect morning for it! I'm a volunteer (fairly new but still a volunteer, regardless) at the make a wish foundation as a wish granter. I actually really love the organization and everything it stands for and the kids just melt my heart.

Tim got off work at 8am this morning and hadn't slept at all on shift the night before so I wasn't totally sure we were going to do the walk. However, he was a trooper and we made it out for all of the festivities. It was so much fun and such a beautiful and great way to spend the morning. Ooh, and I actually have pictures, too that we took on Tim's phone. I'll have to get those from him and post them.

We met a little girl named Cassidy who told everyone about her wish to meet Rascal Flatts in person (a country band for all you folks who didn't originate in the midwest and have some stigma against country music). Anyway, she did meet Rascal Flatts in person and not only that but she got to eat dinner with them and got to sing with them in concert in front of 20,000. She was such a cute little girl and it's so touching to see these kids just light up talking about how their wishes came true. They totally deserve everything they get, more than I can even remotely express in words.

As a sidenote: We just got tickets for a group of us to go to Rascal Flatts when they come to town in October (4 days after we get back from Hawaii). I saw them in 2001 in California when they were barely known to anyone. It was in a small joint with hardly any people and I think it was maybe $10-$30 to get in. Hardly anything. I've been a fan of them ever since. It's nice to hear that as they've grown in popularity they still take time for kids like Cassidy. Makes me respect them even more, aside from just liking their music (and yes, that is the midwest girl in me).

Anyway, the walk was a huge success and I can't wait to see what this next year holds for me as part of the make a wish foundation!

No comments: