Thursday, February 12, 2009

A few words on Octomom

I am absolutely outraged at that whole situation. This lady both creeps me out and disgusts me. And personally, I do not understand how it is possible for more people to not be outraged. 14 kids? FOURTEEN?! FOURTEEN!!! People get weirded out by the Duggar family that have 18 but actually run a successful and well-managed family. They have two parents, they had each of the 18 kids one at a time, they are not in debt, they own their own home, they have the ability to provide for their kids. This octomom lady is living at her parents house, is barely holding it together, doesn't even have a degree (does she even have a job?), collects foods stamps according to the news last night and now has FOURTEEN KIDS. It just seems utterly irresponsible.

I'm not really sure that it's my business and maybe I should be more upset with the doctor that fertilized her (most recently with 6 babies that turned into 8) or with society that is fostering her behavior. But whatever. Who evers fault it is, the reality of the situation is that it is totally twisted and completely f-ed up.

I understand the desire to want to have kids. I understand the purpose. I don't fully understand the love yet, but I know I will one day when I have my own. I feel passionately about having kids. I never knew it was something I truly wanted until I met Tim. Now it is something that I desperately want. One day. When the time is right. But until then, I appreciate the time I have alone, to build a life with Tim so that when we choose to have kids we will not only have a stronger relationship for the time we had together but we will have a stable life and will be able to fully support them. We could support kids now. We have money, we have a stable life, we have love. But in the best interest of the KIDS, we know that the time right now is not perfect. We could definitely not support 14. I think it would be a stretch to say that anyone could even totally support 14 animals, much less kids!! Who seriously has that capability? Who would truly want that chaos? And how do you meet the needs/wants/desires of 14 people every single day especially when they are so young that they demand it every second of the day?

I mean, this lady just seems completely and utterly selfish to me. She had 14 kids, selfishly, without any regard to the lack of capacity that she has to care for them-in all ways... She just "wanted kids."

My heart just goes out to those kids, it breaks for these kids. The road just looks a little shaky for them on the surface. As an optimist at heart, I truly hope that it works out for THEM but I am still totally repulsed at the irresponsibility and lack of care that their mom appears to be exhibiting. I hope she can pull it together and give these kids a good life... one way or another.

No comments: