Monday, November 24, 2008

Maui Day 3...October 18. The day to relax.

On day three, we wake up and Tim's throat hurts. Damn illness. I guess that fruity drinks and sun didn't make him immune to my stupid cold. Lucky for him, I am a smart thinker and made him pack a box of emergen-c. My cold was too bad to think for a second that he might not get it. Unfortunately, I was right. We were going to spend the day doing the road to Hana trip but changed plans once he woke up with his sore throat/hack/drippy nose/slight fever. Who wants that in Hawaii!?! Yuck. Our first stop: Maui ocean center. We got there right when it opened so we beat all of the little kids that flooded the place as we were leaving. Such pretty fish at this place.


Our little black and red fish. He was cute. Probably because my favorite colors are black and red. Later in our trip, we saw these guys when we were snorkeling!

Tim outside of the Maui ocean center sign. This was somewhere in the middle of the place... right before this we had stopped to go to the bathroom to blow our noses. We were quite the pair that day. No fun.
I don't know what kind of fish these are but they look mean, even though it is a pretty picture. Anyone who knows me knows that I have NEVER liked fish. Surprisingly to anyone who knows me, I actually snorkeled SEVERAL times on this trip. This is HUGE for me. I have a huge aversion to fish, aside from eating them. I have always not liked getting into lakes or too deep into oceans because the thought of one of those slimy guys touching me just creeps the hell out of me. But, for whatever reason, I actually snorkeled... and more than once (more on that in later posts). And even more noteworthy, I actually really liked it! Maybe my fish aversion is gone?

After the Maui ocean center visit, we promptly headed to the pool where we laid there the entire. afternoon. Why not? It's Maui! We were right by the pool bar/restaurant which was even better. We got up a few times to get in the pool, waterslide, etc. It was awesome.

Chillin by the pool... I seriously think this may be my favorite hobby ever. I guess that is not so good considering I now live in Seattle and can only do this for, um, 4 weeks a year!
I don't think I got a very good tan though... it got cloudy later in the afternoon- lame! Actually, though, it's so freaking hot in Hawaii that the cloudiness made it that much nicer. Otherwise we would have been roasting!
That night we walked the path to the shops at Wailea. We decided to check them out to see if there was anything we needed, er, wanted to buy. By the time we got there, my feet hurt so bad that I decided I needed to buy new flip flops. So I did. Tim bought a pair of board shorts. There are surprisingly a lot of shops there... including the high end shops like Tiffany, Gucci, etc. I don't remember that from last time even though I know we went there.

On the path in front of a crazy tree... in the flip flops that killed my feet and are now retired. On the way back from the shops, I was SO glad I bought new flip flops. The path that we walked to the shops isn't lit. I also have a slight aversion to dark places, like really dark places, especially right above the ocean where I could get thrown in and fed to those slimy fish! So, I refused to take this path... as a result we ended up walking about 4 times as far as we would have on the path. Part of this was due to the fact that there is a private community between resorts that you can't walk through. So we got stopped and had to go ALL the way back around from where we came from to get to the main road. It was ridiculous.
We ended up eating at another Fairmont restaurant that night... the Fairmont restaurants were very convenient... not to mention they all have good food and drinks. This night we went to their Asian/Hawaiian fusion restaurant called Ko. It was really awesome. So awesome, in fact, that we went there again later in the week. That night we had Hawaiian style clams, some type of white fish (ono maybe? I don't remember- we ate so much fish over there!), and an Asian fusion chicken salad. There was a little old Hawaiian lady who recommended our whole dinner that night to us. She reminded me of a grandmother type figure. She remembered us all week. Every time we walked by the restaurant she would ask us by our names how we were doing. She might be the sweetest lady I have ever met. And she was totally right on with her recommendations on food!

No comments: