Friday, November 21, 2008

Maui Day 2...Marriage licenses and Ziplines.

Second day in paradise: Wake up, eat a huge breakfast (isn't this what you do on vacation?), sit on the beach for a while (since we were still on Seattle time and got up at literally like 5am), drive to black sand beach and explore around, get our marriage license!, head to east Maui to do ziplining for the rest of the afternoon, go to Kanapali beach and play in the waves at sunset, eat at Nick's fishhouse for dinner (possibly the best restaurant ever). Here are the pictures:

On the way to breakfast in the morning I found a little horse statue. It looked fun to sit on for a picture op until I realized that the sprinklers had just been on and it was wet.

At the black sand beach. It wasn't a dark black sand but still very cool.

The islands off in the distance at the black sand beach.

Me at the black sand beach.
Ziplining... totally awesome experience. A bit scary at first but I would highly recommend it for whoever feels like an adventure. It is so much fun and the views were amazing. You start off down in Kanapali and they take you up the huge cliffs of eastern Maui. There are seven ziplines up there (the longest is 1000 feet). Some are steeper/faster because of how much pull the line does or doesn't have. Midway through you stop to have lunch at the top of one of the cliffs overlooking Maui. It's pretty awesome. You can't really see me above but I am on the line (at the very top of the picture). This was one of the first lines we did... I happened to hold the thing wrong so I kinda smashed my middle finger on my right hand. I think I pinched a nerve or something. I literally still don't have feeling in that part of my finger. It's pretty funny.

Tim on the ziplines (in the middle of the picture).

Look at that landing! I think my form on this landing was actually pretty good. I landed well everytime so that's good. Midway through they switched out Tim's and my gear... he was going super fast and I wasn't really going that fast at all. I think it was some sort of weight issue... After they switched, I didn't feel like much changed. It felt fast everytime, regardless!

All decked out in my head gear... although I'm pretty sure if you fell, this would not help much. You are basically really high up above any sort of ground just hanging by a cable. I mean, you're going back and forth between cliffs. If something happened, well, we just won't think about that because it didn't!
Tim all decked out in his gear.

At the lunch spot. The mountains were behind us and we were looking towards the ocean (and down at Kanapali in Easter Maui). It was a gorgeous view.

Look at that posture! Perfect! You're supposed to kinda lean back and kinda squat/sit. Not really sure why but it did seem to make it smoother and faster.

Getting all hooked up! This guy was one of our tour guides, Frank. Funny guy. I couldn't remember his name for the life of me and did not stop hearing about that when he realized I knew his partners name and not his. What can I say?

A running start! Once we had a couple of lines under our belts, they let us start taking off by running. This made it so much more fun!

Tim in the middle of a long zipline.

...and coming in for the landing.

A view of the ocean and eastern Maui from one of the lines. Beautiful.

Getting hooked up to the last and longest line.

I don't have any pictures from Kanapali beach or from Nick's fishmarket... I think we were tired of taking pictures after all of the pictures we took ziplining. Kanapali was AWESOME after getting so hot and dusty from ziplining. The waves were perfect so we body surfed some and watched the sunset. Nick's fishmarket is known as one of the best seafood restaurants on Maui. It's at the Fairmont which is why we decided to go there since we didn't get back until it was dark. The food was amazing and fresh, and the service was incredible. I would highly recommend it to anyone who visits Maui.

No comments: