Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Driving in the city

Does anyone understand why in the HELL every city has to have so many freakin 1 way streets? I mean, is it really that hard to design all cities with roads that go both ways? I hate 1 way streets because you can only go one way... and then, oh FREAK! That was the street I'm supposed to be on but it only goes east so now I have to spend 10 more minutes going in f-ing circles until I can finally get back to the one way street that I need to be on. If it was two ways, problem solved without any wasted time or aggravation.

I also hate one way streets because usually when I'm in the city, I'm trying to find my way around so I'm not really paying attention to whether or not a street is one way. Thus, my problem today. I was right at the base of chase field. I needed to go slightly west on Jefferson to get to where I needed to park. So I turn west. I wonder why there are people sitting in a turn lane on the north side of the street. (sidenote: I should have thought about this logically). Then I see multiple cars coming at me IN ALL LANES. Oh holy mother of god! I am going down a one way street the WRONG. WAY. Luckily, I am in my little mini car so I flip a quick u turn in the middle of the road (only slightly illegal) before all of the traffic reaches me. (Then duck, put my hands over my face and pretend like I'm not the most retarded person in the world at the moment when all of these people drive past me thinking, "Who's the idiot?")

So after this, I have to go north a block to washington so that I can go west. Oh, Washington has construction? Perfect. I have to go on a loop-de-loop detour for TWENTY, repeat: TWENTY minutes so that I can go .08 of a mile to the freakin field parking lot!!! My thought after this was that maybe I should have just tested my luck with the one way street... see if I could've beat the oncoming traffic to my turn which would've only taken about 30 seconds...even if it was a potential death wish. Or MAYBE all cities should just make streets two ways. And we're back to the original point: What is the purpose of 1 way streets?

2 comments:

rachel said...

I agree! I have already driven down one way streets the wrong way twice in downtown Eugene. I hate it. I drive so infrequently that I still haven't gotten to know the roads even though it is a small city. Surprisingly, both times I went the wrong way no one honked... which is a very good thing because i tend to cry when i get honked at.

pablo said...

Usually they're made into one-way streets because they are too narrow to accommodate traffic going both ways (and have parked cars at the curb). This is from the old days when cities were built before there were so many cars and before cars were so big.

What's really interesting is when you get driving directions from one of those online services and they end up having you go the wrong way on one-way streets. We had one occasion in Amarillo where we were to drive on a street that hadn't existed for 10 years!