Sunday, February 10, 2013

The weekend I re-learned to ski.

Seattle had an unusually cold and clear January. We had extremely cold weather that started off as fog in the morning and turned clear-but cold- midday. Then in this "inversion" weather pattern all the warm air goes to the mountains.

So, on Saturday January 19, we woke up with the intention of going downhill skiing...somewhat hilarious as I have not skied in YEARS. Like 15. The sequence of events trying to GET to the slopes was, well, interesting.

I should also preface the whole sequence of events by saying that I was pretty (totally) freaked out about skiing. So.

First, I tore a contact in my eye. Has anyone ever done this? It's AWFUL. Basically it rips in half then you sit in front of the mirror looking like a total freak trying to get the pieces out (which float to the very back of your eyeball). TERRIBLE. (And also: you can't see because the damn contact ripped, so that adds an element of challenge). After dealing with that madness, I walked downstairs to make a little breakfast before we headed out. Shortly thereafter, I spilled a giant tub of costco peanut butter ALL over the floor. Awesome. Our nanny then arrived and as we were filling her in on when Owen last ate and slept, I spilled tea all over my white sweatpants. BAH! As I mentioned, Seattle had been FREEZING. As in, everything literally froze every night. Justin said that I should be careful because it was slick out. As I'm walking with oatmeal in hand, after having JUST said "oh I would totally be the one to eat it today", my feet flew out from underneath me and WHOOP, down I went. Ow. Oatmeal all over, pride badly bruised (as was my butt).

And to think I was headed to the slopes....


Needless to say, we made it. Because of the inversion, it was SO warm and sunny on the mountain. I was in a lesson all morning and it took that long for our little group to make it down the bunny slope. It was fun for the most part but I need LOTS of practice.

After heading home, I actually took a nap. Apparently skiing is a good workout!

The next day we took it easy and enjoyed the clear but cool Seattle weather. Gorgeous.




More to follow on my skiing adventures. The one resounding lesson that I learned was that a) I fall a lot and b) Justin is an AMAZING skier (so I have lots of work to do to be able to ski with him and it won't take long for Owen to catch up!)

No comments: