Thursday, January 17, 2013

2012- the year that was.

Pardon my ridiculous blog post that is about to ensue. I wanted to pay tribute to 2012 but once I got started I realized that I had uploaded about 1000000 pictures. But, pictures always do tell the story best. However, if you make it to the end of this, I will be entirely impressed. This is really for nothing more than my own memory books.... and it's only 17 days late! Not bad.


A year ago- Christmas 2011... Pregnant but didn't know it. Just felt sick and thought I was coming down with the flu.


Toasting the new year with friends in Oregon.

One more from our Oregon New Year trip last year. Our last new years' without little kiddos! 


A short week later, a new job offer and a BIG surprise. No wonder why I was eating jars of dill pickles and thought that blue cheese and bacon was good.... 


My last day of work at my old job, January 9. 


And a first preggo shot of myself. To think that I even remotely thought I was bigger here. Ha! Turns out I was actually about 10 weeks pregnant here, when I though I was only 7 or 8. 


In my week between jobs, Seattle got slammed with a massive snowstorm! 


A couple days after I started work at my new job, we celebrated Justin's birthday. This was the good part... 



This was the not so good part of his birthday. Poor little truck.


In early February we got to see the little squirt for the first time. It was so cool!! We had decided on midwives and they confirmed I definitely was further along than we thought (12 weeks) Shortly thereafter and a million more at home pregnancy tests (because I was whacky in my pregnancy state and didn't total believe there was really something in there) we went for our first ultrasound and got the above photo which we announced to the world February 14. 



In March, we made our first big pre-baby purchase. Traded in little Alfred the mini for the BMW. Long day!

On March 7, Justin decided to scare the bejebus out of all of us by going in to A-fib. DID NOT LIKE.


Luckily, all turned out ok. And I also started to like to eat peanut butter again. HUGE as for the first part of my pregnancy, it totally repulsed me. 


I also ate a lot of grilled cheese and mac and cheese. YUMMY. 



And I had the first hamburger that I've had in YEARS at the Sounders game.


We ordered our crib and other nursery items and started to put together the nursery.


A couple of weeks before my birthday, Justin surprised me with a trip to Orcas island. We got lucky in that the weather was GORGEOUS. 


We had the "sex" ultrasound a couple of weeks before my birthday. I was going to wait to find out boy/girl until the actual day of my birthday but I am too impatient and couldn't wait. We found out BOY as we had expected all along in mid April. We were so excited. 


For my actual 30th birthday, we were in glorious Maui.


Where I hiked the same mountain that I had hiked the summer before, but this time at 6 months pregnant! 



I also ate the most amazing pancakes EVER. SO GOOD.


Also in April, my grandma Baker passed away so in May we went back to Iowa for the funeral.


In early June, we attended our friends' Andy and Shauna's wedding where I was HUGE. 


Later that month, we were back in Kansas City for my first baby shower and of course, hitting golf balls. I have to say, I was quite good... must have been the extra weight.



Shot from the baby shower. Holy cow.... big.


At around 30 weeks pregnant, we found out the little guy was breech. So I started doing a bunch of inversions to get him to flip.


I also went to accupuncture where I did moxi on my toes which helps with breech position babies. Luckily, just a few short weeks later, he flipped to face down and in exactly the right spot where he needed to be. 



In July, we did a Jaguar racing day clinic. It was super fun although a little crazy scary! Those cars are fast! 


We also played a ton of golf! So fun.





And we went to Justin's 30th high school reunion in Leavenworth. 


....and the pregnant lady played sand volleyball!


We also put the finishing touches on Owen's room...


And had my final shower in Washington thrown by my good friend Stacie that my mom was also able to join us for....And, still, WOW, HUGE.




At the end of July, we took our maternity pictures.


And rang in August by watching the Olympics with everyone else- and even making a pizza to mimic the festivities. At this point, anything was entertaining as I was SO uncomfortable. 



I was SO swollen. It was hot in Seattle and as a nice side effect of being almost 10 months pregnant my feet were GIANT. We also had a minor scare in early August in which I bled all over our room and the bathroom and we had a midnight trip to the midwives. All was ok though but we did find out I was dilated to 1cm. Eeeeee! 


Our last date night pre-baby. An August evening out in Seattle- mediterranean food dinner (yum!)...followed by a Seahawks game (not fun when you are that preggo!) 



A day or so before Owen was born and it was HOT. 



The day I went in to labor, I took a last belly shot.


Laboring on the stairs, which is where I labored for most of the intense part of the labor on the evening of August 18th. At around 10pm we went to the midwives...


and we had little Owen David at 12:10am on August 19th, also our first anniversary.


Already so in love.


The first week was full of cuddles with the little man. 


As well as meeting his big brothers! 


And newborn photos!


All of a sudden, Owen was one month old... somehow that happened but I am not sure how. 


Right around the one month mark, I had mastitis (AWFUL) that turned into an abscess that I had to have drained (EVEN MORE AWFUL). We made it through though and still breast fed successfully!


At 5 weeks, Owen met his grandma and grandpa Baker for the first time.


And started grinning at us.


At 6 weeks, we had our last midwife visit!


We also took Owen on his first hike. 


He also kept making ridiculous faces.


And played with many of his buddies.


Along with his newest buddy, Carter, who was born in mid October.




Then he was two months old (HOW?!) 




His first shots at 8 weeks.


His first Halloween. 




Learning to blow drool bubbles.


Visit from Uncle Jon and Margot...and playing "stare at the fan"




...and watching football.

His first time wine tasting...sort of.



Many mornings of breakfasts out in Seattle.


Lots of friend get togethers.


Bundling up for the cold in Seattle. 



Playing!



Looking like a stud for pictures with Santa...


Followed by pictures with Santa! 



Then he was 3 months old! 



Right after Owen turned 3 months old, I went back to work. It was quite nice although I missed him a ton but luckily I still see him so much. The above picture is a shot Justin took on my first day back at work. I think Owen was perfectly happy.


More play dates. 


One of my favorite shots. 



First thanksgiving! 


The day after Thanksgiving we flew back to the midwest as my grandma McDaniel had just passed away. Owen did GREAT on the plane. 


A shot of Justin and Owen in front of my grandma's old house.


In early December, Justin and I got all dallied up for a holiday party while Owen went to play with our neighbor.


He also decided he was a big enough boy to hold his bottle by himself for our nanny. 



We also went on our first snowy hike! It started out as not so snowy...


but by the end there was TONS of snow! 



And then he was four months old! 


...and quite the little ham. 



On his 4 month birthday, we flew back to Kansas City for Christmas.


He got blessed at the church I grew up in....


...and we also all participated in the Christmas Eve service. 



He played a lot with Grandma and Grandpa and loved being spoiled by them! 


We then flew back to Washington and went to Leavenworth the very next day to ring in the new year with good friends. Above is a picture of us on a hike.


The three babies on New Year's Eve.


Owen passed out on New Year's Eve. 



And, from all of us, a very happy new year to all of you. In looking through all of these pictures and writing about this past year, I am floored at where we were a year ago to where we are now. I think it's cliche but now that Owen is with us, I can't imagine life without him. He's been the biggest deal of our whole year as our year was pretty much revolved around my pregnancy and the birth of Owen. I wouldn't have had it any other way. 2012 was a pretty spectacular year for our little family- I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for us! 

No comments: