Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Big News!

It's too bad I don't have music that accompanies certain blog posts because this would be a GREAT music post. Seems to be the long awaited post so I feel like I need a fanfare of sorts to introduce it... although, come on guys, all of you that read this blog and are bugging me to post this already KNOW the story. But fine, I will appease you. Here is the BIG NEWS (dum dum dum...):

On Friday, March 18, Justin and I headed over to Seattle to pick up Oliver at the bus stop as we had him for the weekend (Bailey had soccer). Justin was acting weird but I didn't know why and honestly didn't think a whole lot of it. So we get home and Justin says he has to run an errand. Ok, cool, whatever. I give him a list of a couple of things to get for dinner and start to clean the house (because seriously? I had more than 1 hour on a Friday night and a house during busy season quickly becomes scary....meaning, I can't find two socks that match scary and it looks like a bomb imploded in each room of the house. Ok, maybe not THAT bad but bad enough to drive me crazy in the madness of the season because I have no time to deal with it). Other than this sacred time I got this Friday night (just came full circle on that one...)

Anyway, so I'm cleaning the bathroom and then move to start cleaning the kitchen when Justin and Oliver come home. I am scrubbing away when they walk into the kitchen... both holding flowers. So imagine this: I have dirt and dust and who the hell knows what else up to my elbows and on my face and in my hair and am a cleaning mad woman...I am scrubbing the floor and oven (maybe even simultaneously- a quality of CPAs during busy season is multitasking!) and I see that Oliver has 2 red roses, Justin has a bouquet. And I'm thinking, "What the....?" And also that this is probably a very sweet and romantic moment and meanwhile I look like a merry maid. Beautiful! So, I brush my hair back, compose myself (sort of),  stand up and then Justin hands me a book (oh, at which point, the composure I just gained flew the hell out the window):

And, I began to read it. It is a book of pictures, mementos, love and stories... and 5 reasons why I should marry Justin (and Bailey/Oliver). I think it took me 100 years to read the damn thing. I would read one sentence, start to cry, attempt to read the next, cry, and oh shit, I have cleaning products in my eyes now, tissue, read the next and on and on. I think Justin was really just trying to give me a natural facial with that book (thanks baby! I needed that, really, I did!) On the last page, there was a picture of us and it said, "Now, look at me..." And my favorite boy was down on one knee holding out a ring. And then I melted. And tears, tears, tears... family hugs... and more tears. It was so special...it was thoughtful, it was heartfelt, it was shared with Oliver and with each other, and it was as simple as how our relationship all began.

And, of course, a solid YES. Yes to not just being engaged, and not just planning a wedding but planning a life, a marriage that can and will work. You don't do it utterly wrong (um, twice) to make the same mistakes again. Many may argue with me and while I may wish certain things had been different, I truly believe I needed my first two marriages to get me here.  They were really the window to me realizing what I really wanted and needed from a true partner...and realizing that I didn't just have to settle but could truly get what I wanted, and what I deserved. Justin is the culmination of, really, all relationships I have ever had.  Because I'd lived through those experiences, I knew without hesitation what I was looking for in a partner and he fits that description to a tee. He exceeds it. And we don't need marriage to acknowledge what we have or the commitment we feel, but because we know we have that and honestly a bit because of the kiddos, we are getting married. We were friends first and foremost and in Justin I have a guy that I know will sustain, support, and love me for all of me years and years down the road. That's all I need. I am happier than I've been in a long, long, (did I say long?) time.

 

The next day, I went into the office to attempt to work for a bit which didn't work out too awesome since everyone was stopping by to see and hear about the big news. So I ended up leaving work to run. And I RAN... SEVEN MILES. It was awesome. I think possibly it was driven by the natural high from the night before? I have no idea but it was the first long run I've done in quite a while. Perhaps not the best decision but it felt great at the time. I then met Justin and Oliver and we went on a 6 mile walk (after getting Oliver a new phone, which I'm pretty sure was the highlight of his weekend).


My sexy guy (um, holy crap, my FIANCE)... ready to roll.

And us on the water in Kirkland...and on a rare beautiful day in March.

Hey, what do you know, it's SPRING in Seattle!! Yes, that is Justin and Oliver walking.

That night Justin's mom and brother came over to celebrate the good news complete with red bubbles (shiraz champagne from Australia that we bought at a wine tasting a long time ago but were saving for a special occasion- surprisingly amazing). It was great fun.

And the following day when we took Oliver home, we had great shots up in the mountain passes. Washington truly is a beautiful state. I'm surrounded by beauty in this state that we live in, I have a good job (although, ask me during busy season and it's hell, but really- a good job), I'm loved by three boys that mean the world to me and I have some pretty incredible family and friends both near and far away. I'm a pretty lucky girl. It's been a bit of a journey to get to where I feel so utterly and completely at home but I'm here.  I truly have it all...and it feels so, so good.

No comments: