Saturday, September 18, 2010

Celebrating.

September 18 was a great day. Not just because it was Saturday which usually tends to exude greatness just for being a weekend day (well, you know, except for those 4 months out of the year where I question my intelligence in picking my career because I am working on that greatest day). Anyhow. Ahem, September 18. Let's go:

First off: operation bedroom remodel. Uh, IMPROMPTU, bedroom remodel. I was out running errands and ALL OF A SUDDEN, wouldn't you know, I just went into this crazy impulsive mode that sometimes defines me and bought all this stuff to give my bedroom a slight makeover. Remodel is probably a strong word. Redecorate. Better. And the impulsiveness? I don't think I'll ever change. I've tried.

A shot of the new stuff on the bed and surrounding the bed, including the impromptu saturday art project above the bed. I guess sometimes my creative side still works though it can sometimes tend to get suppressed in my day job.

And of the dresser. Trust me, it looks different. I just realized I have no before pictures. Picture white blah as the before. I didn't like it but was never motivated to update it. I do like it now. For the moment.

Later that day, I had the pleasure of sharing in such a cool thing: a birthday party for one of the coolest 14 year olds that I know. Ok, maybe THE coolest because come to think of it, I don't know that I know any other 14 year olds personally. But he'd probably still be the coolest even if I did. I spent the morning (see above, errands that morphed into operation redecoration) picking up a couple of things for him for presents and for that night for his dinner. Can I just say something? At 10am on a Saturday morning, the mall had JUST opened but somehow the lego store was INFESTED. I mean, a BAZILLION people. What in the hell was THAT about? I think I almost lost my legs 20 times due to little munchkins in a lego induced high. Luckily I made it out with what I had intended to buy but just barely. The yellow haze of the store coupled with kids trying to de-leg me was almost my death. Not that I didn't love the experience. It was quite cute and I do have a soft spot for legos but WOW. I need to mentally prepare for that next time I go. Or at least wear some sort of leg protection. The above picture is Justin at dinner, or I guess just after, as we are watching Oliver open presents. I think he's laughing at the card he bought Ollie which shortly became MAYBE, just MAYBE the most annoying card ever. Only in that I have never heard that stupid "car wash, meet me at the car wash" jingle so many times in 24 hours than I did following the receipt of that card. It was funny the first 4 times. And good christ, I now have that damn jingle in my head. THANKS BABE.

Justin's mom and little baby Ollie (he's 3 and possibly the cutest 3 year old I know).

The birthday boy! We made homemade pizzas that night per his request and they were AWESOME. Oh. Oh. OH. I completely forgot about The Cake. YOU GUYS. This cake. Ridiculous. I made it but I don't take full credit for its goodness. Oliver told me what he wanted in the mix which was basically more chocolate, reeses, marshmallows. And it was already going to be a double layer chocolate cake with chocolate icing. The pizza was fabulous but this chocolate cake? HOLY GOD. I'm pretty sure we all died for a second when we ate it. And then subsequently all gained 20 pounds. But who cares? We were all in a chocolate orgasmic coma at that point, doesn't matter what our asses look like! Ollie was basically a rockstar in his vision of that birthday cake of his. He's pretty much a rockstar anyway but that cake, WOAH. It's too bad I didn't get a picture of it.

Opening presents with a little helper.

And another one with the little guy. He wanted to know so badly what was going on. It was a great night, great day...great people, great food, great wine, oh, and GREAT cake. I'm so glad I got to be a part of it and was able to celebrate with this guy on his birthday. He's an amazing little man and deserves the world.

No comments: