Friday, May 7, 2010

Missouri/Oklahoma adventures- May 6 & 7, 2010

The second weekend in May we made the trip back to Missouri for my cousin's graduation (which happened to be in Oklahoma). The thought was that we'd fly in to Kansas City Thursday night, have a night with my family and then drive the 5 hours down with them to Tulsa for Friday/Saturday graduation festivities and then fly back to Seattle on Sunday morning.

Here's Tim on Thursday night after we flew in- hanging out at my parents' house.


AND... a couple of weeks prior when we were back my mom had german chocolate cake for me for my birthday. This time, she had made angel food cake for me AND had fresh strawberries. Angel food cake ALMOST beats out german chocolate as my favorite cake.



After spending the prior night eating angel food cake and playing cards, I went on a run the follow morning through the woods by my parents' house. I ended up running about 5-6 miles and walking about 3 miles. It was a nice workout and MUCH needed before spending all day in the car driving to Tulsa. And yes, HOLY CRAP, I was running. I'll update on the stupid foot in a later post one of these days. On the run, there was a deer! Cool!


And another shot of him (her?) It was moving fast so picture is a little blurry.


I did get a great shot of the nice white tail. So cute.

Later in the day, we made our way to Tulsa. Somebody was worn out.... This picture cracks me up. I think he probably caught a few flies.

Gorgeous plains on the way to Tulsa. It was only gorgeous for a little while though...until it became boring. The scenery did not change one bit through all of Missouri into Oklahoma. There were also no red rocks in eastern Oklahoma. I'd never been to Tulsa but have driven through Western Oklahoma so was pretty surprised to find how vastly different eastern Oklahoma is from Western Oklahoma.

Half way through the drive, we stopped in the po-dunk, er, quaint town of Joplin, Missouri. After driving around for about 25 minutes trying to find a place that we could all agree on given our VERY different eating styles (how did we ever eat for all 18 years I lived at home??), we finally settled on the Red Onion Cafe. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

It was in the heart of old town Joplin and was very cute. And of course the people that worked there were your typical mid-westerners... SO nice and accommodating.

One of the things that my mom and brother got was fried asparagus. I did not try this. I like my asparagus fresh. I guess anything can be fried! I am told it was quite tasty... but I guess we'll all just have to take their word for it.
More pictures of the hills in Southern Missouri after we stopped for lunch. About an hour after we ate, we finally made it to Tulsa and headed straight to the hotel. Once there, we met up with my extended family and promptly went to share wine with them in the hotel lounge area. Was so nice to sit with them and catch up over some good wine.

Later that evening after my cousin Patrick flew in from Oregon, we went to my cousin Kristyn's favorite restaurant in Tulsa- a Japanese steakhouse. Her choice, because SHE is the graduate. Above- me, Kristyn and my aunt Layne.

Mmmmm sapporo. So good.

A picture of the Japanese chef preparing our food. It was a lot like Benihana but not. It was SO MUCH FOOD but very good. Since we didn't eat until around 8pm or so, we didn't get out of there until 9.30. After dinner, we decided to be old people and go back to the hotel to sleep since the graduation was scheduled to start early the next morning. Fun day with family!

No comments: