Thursday, October 1, 2009

Stuffing my treehugger views down your throat.

I'm on an email chain from my favorite naturopathic doctor around who runs a holistic wellness center in the city that I work in. I did a "boot camp" (aka: kick your ass group training) a couple of years ago from this wellness center and learned TONS from Dr. Mark. It also confirmed by belief that my passion is and will always be nutrition and whole body wellness and living a whole, natural, balanced life. Aka: point your finger at me and yell treehugger. Whatever.

Like I didn't already KNOW THAT but meeting him and talking to him was absolutely phenomenal (oh, and I got into really awesome shape...though really just got massively toned since I lost no weight or body fat % at all in the entire 6 weeks, which is good- I didn't need to). I still think about one day getting my master's in nutrition or EVEN doing the naturopathic doctor thing and eventually starting my own wellness center although I know it's probably not as lucrative as my current career. But I would LOVE IT and accounting is always useful in any field. Some days I really do love my job in accounting and just do the nutrition/wellness stuff as a hobby and am fulfilled by that and think I can have a life like that forever. But then other times, I realize how excited I get for my Whole Living magazines, Nutrition action magazines, Yoga magazines and Eating Well magazines but then my Journal of Accountancy magazines will sit dormant for about 3 months until I open them to look at the contents and say: Pass. No thanks, not today. Magazines are minor, I know, but it's a little thing that kind of exemplifies what I am really interested in. Although I do love the people side of what I do now in accounting. Who knows. But the point is, I LOVE THIS STUFF-nutrition, wellness.

Earlier this week our firm administrator sent out an email on flu shots and how "we are strongly, strongly recommended to get them." This follows a little experience at Tim's work where he came into contact with a patient with a fever and his company then proceeded to make him go to urgent care to get tested for H1N1, which he refused. Tim and I have been talking all week about how silly this is when if you take care of yourself, your body has a natural immune system that will fight off the flu. And why inject yourself with something so unnatural as a "quick fix" but you might still get the flu anyway? And what about side affects? And why not just combat all fall/winter illnesses by beefing up on vitamins, natural supplements, sleep, exercise that BOOST your immune system? I am a total proponent of western medicine in some cases and believe that it is POWERFUL. I also just think it's very much TOO relied on in some cases, especially when we can look to the natural to heal.

So back to my first sentence- I still get emails from Dr. Mark. An email showed up in my inbox from him today. The whole time I was reading it I was sitting there yelling "THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT ALL WEEK!!!" It is a total representation of how Tim and I feel about the whole flu shot thing and living a natural life so I am going to post it in its entirety here. Like Dr. Mark says, I'm not trying to push my views on anyone out there (regardless of the title of this post) or discredit anyone who is legitimately sick and needs the care of western medicine, but for just a little bit of a view on how I feel about flu shots via the words of a great naturopathic doctor, here you go:

"Should you or your child get a flu shot?

-Did you know a recent study found that 70% of doctors and nurses don't get flu shots?* Reasons cited included not believing the vaccine would work, believing their own immune systems would be strong enough to deal with the flu and being concerned about side effects.

-Did you know that more people die from malnutrition than the flu each year?*

-Did you know the death rate of children under the age of five from the flu has increased since the CDC started widely recommending vaccines for children?*

-Did you know those with adequate levels of vitamin D rarely get the flu?*

Each year at this time we hear the loud proclamation it's "time to get your flu shot." It seems the drumming of this message gets louder and louder each passing year. Especially now with the H1N1 virus thrown into the mix. The message is clear: Be afraid.

And despite warnings of potential shortages, every other block will seem to have a flu shot outlet. It's becoming an unquestioned seasonal rite of passage to go along with the leaves changing colors on the trees. At this rate, it may reach the lofty status previously reserved only for "It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

But the real question is if this is the right thing to do. And if so right, why do so many people need convincing? And if it's not so right, why is it being pushed so hard? Are there reasonable alternatives?

And tell me if this makes sense: A radio ad by Albertson's Sav-On Pharmacy is urging us to come in and get their flu shot. It's just $24.95. And when we do, we'll get a free flu survival kit! Really? Why do I need a flu survival kit if I am getting a flu shot that will protect me from the flu?

Please understand that I am not dismissing the potential seriousness of the flu, be it seasonal or H1N1. But when did the anticipation of MAYBE getting the flu be an automatic reason to do something that many intelligent people believe doesn't help avoid getting the flu AND has the potential to be even worse for your health than actually getting the flu?

The flu on very rare occasions, can lead to serious complications such as bacterial pneumonia- which you may notice is not a viral infection. So a flu should be monitored closely. But in most cases, if you do get the flu, symptoms resolve in a few days with extra rest and fluids. The flu isn't any fun but doesn't anyone remember eating chicken soup as a kid?

I am just not a fan of the blind acceptance being wildly promoted for getting flu shots for the seasonal flu or the H1N1 virus. And it disturbs me immensely the heavy dose of scare tactics often used in the promotion of such vaccines. I've had parents tell me the nasty backlash they've received when deciding not to get flu shots for their kids.

Enough!

Each person has the right to make a personal decision about whether they want to get a flu shot. I abhor this idea of "mandatory flu shots" being so casually tossed around these days. You may or may not choose to get a flu shot but I encourage you to do your homework and seek more than one opinion. Talk to your doctor or pediatrician. Yet, also don't assume your well-intentioned healthcare provider will have all the answers. Do your own research. Ask questions. Find out the truth. Use this process to educate your family.

Personally, to me the arguments for flu vaccines are illogical at best- and dangerous at worst. And objective medical science is far from convincing me about the benefit of a flu shot. So I choose not to get flu shots. If I had kids, I would personally choose not to get them flu shots.

As a naturopathic physician intensely focused on healthy living, I want folks to be more educated and more personally responsible about their health and not blindly assume they should get shots. Nor do I like to see people get bullied or scared into taking shots when there are legitimate questions to be asked that are worthy of legitimate answers. Especially about a hurriedly approved swine vaccine that has had little testing and where you are not allowed any recourse should there be complications.

This should be about HEALTH and not about anything else. Have we forgotten that our body is naturally capable if we just give it half a chance?

Studies have shown that those with adequate levels of viatmin D as well as vitamin C, Zinc and other immune boosting nutrients are much less susceptible to the flu.* Also, since the immune system is highly tied to the health of your gut, taking probiotics during the winter is a good preventative measure. And even your omega-3 fatty acids promote better immune system function.

As we enter the fall season, get your rake ready and get outside while you can for the best source of vitamin D on this earth. And do wash your hands, get a good night's sleep and dust off your favorite recipe for homemade chicken soup. Those things make sense to me."
-Dr Mark

Also, check out these links for further research (one is from the CDC and one is from a more biased nutrition site):
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/26/Flu-Vaccine-Exposed.aspx

And that is how I feel about that.

No comments: