Friday, September 5, 2008

Family Fun Time

Like I briefly mentioned in my last post, my parents came out to Seattle to visit at the end of August, as did my brother. This was a HUGE DEAL because I have lived out here for almost a year and a half and they still hadn't ventured to the pacific northwest. They are not a huge fan of planes and 3 hours on one is not exactly their idea of a good time. But, much to my delight (and Tim's with the exception of the whole back ordeal that was timed right before they got out here), they made the trek.

During their stay, we saw more of Seattle than I have ever seen in the two years that I have been visiting/living up here. It's a pretty cool city! I mean, I have gone sight seeing and stuff but nothing like the sight seeing that my mom is capable of. Much of that is due to the fact that she bought these "Go Seattle" cards that you pay upfront for... it's either a 3 or 5 day card to do all of these touristy activities in the city and surrounding areas. It was awesome. We hit all of the places I have seen- pike place market, space needle, etc. but we also saw many things I've never been to- the SAM, music museum, other museums, boat trips, etc. Since I live here most of my activities revolve around the beaches in the summer and mountains in the winter- and of course all of the stomping grounds/restaurants that I love. I never really explored museums or anything of the sort! It was awesome and even more awesome that my parents paid for us to do it all!

One of the BEST DISCOVERIES EVER during their visit was this:



I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING YOU THIS PLACE WAS AMAZING. They make crumpets, obviously. I have never heard of these things. It is basically kind of like a biscuit/pancake type thing that they put cream cheese and organic home made jam on. And they toast it, but it's not really like toast. I am not doing it justice. Anyone that comes to Seattle and who is down by pike place market should try crumpets. They also have a HUGE selection of teas... it's like a teahouse versus the million starbucks that are around here, including the original starbucks that is just around the corner from the crumpet shop. I am not a coffee drinker but drink more tea than anyone would imagine so this was just the place for me. I believe I had their house tea which was an oolong/green tea mix. SO YUMMY. The day my parents left, Tim and I went back. And went again a week later when we had to run an errand in Seattle. It's that good.

Luckily when my parents were out here the weather wasn't horrible. Wasn't too great either, especially for August. If any month is really predictable up here, August would be it. Who am I kidding though? No month is predictable. My parents had a couple of beautiful 80 degree days but on a day when we were golfing it POURED. We thought it would hold off but then on the fairway of hole #11, it starting dumping literally harder than I've ever seen it rain here. But we got in a fair amount of golf so that was ok.

All in all, it was a great trip. They are coming back out for a few days in November and we will make the trip back to Kansas City around Christmas. Yay!

No comments: