Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Commute times

One of the best parts of living where I do now is that my commute to work is all of about 8 minutes. I do get on the freeway but I don't have to. It's a crazy concept for me given that I just spent the past 2 years of my life in Phoenix and probably 6 months of that two years can be written off to sitting in traffic while commuting an hour (sometimes more) each way. I almost don't really know what to do with myself with the extra 2-3 hours a day that I now have. Luckily, I've figured out that now I actually have time to exercise! And to eat dinner NOT at 9pm! And maybe even to actually COOK dinner! And to go to happy hour! And to do errands! And to do whatever else I freaking want to do because I have so much time... I can't even tell you how nice it is. I had this same sort of convenience going for me in Iowa too, and surprisingly justified the commute enough in Phoenix to not really miss the short drives to work. Now that I have been reminded of what it is like to have somewhat of a life, I don't think I'll ever revert back to Phoenix commute times.

Some days I drive to work from Ellensburg when I stay with Tim over there at night. It's about a 1-1.5 hour drive into work only because I'm going up and over the mountains... which could get scary in oh, about 2 weeks when it starts to get snowy and icy over this particular pass. Right now I don't mind this drive because I only do it once a week-at most- and it's the prettiest drive in the world right now. Most of the peaks have snow on them, the leaves are all different colors and it's just so divine looking at the times I am driving through the mountains. I miss the music/car/me time I had in my Phoenix commute sometimes so this allows me some free time to enjoy the mountain beauty, to catch up on phone calls, to listen to music, and after enjoying all of that, it essentially reminds me that at the end of it all, I am glad that I get to enjoy this now but don't have to do it 5 days out of every. single. week. anymore.

No comments: