Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ah... more boring accounting talk...

When I moved up to Washington the last thing I really wanted to start thinking about was the whole CPA exam thing. It is such a process to meet the requirements (that vary by state), get billions of official transcripts and send them all over the freaking country, apply to the state board, figure out what you're missing from the application, resubmit, etc, etc. And then after that you wait to hear from the state board if you can sit for the exam, and then you wait to hear from the AICPA. The whole application process in itself takes several months. It's a drag.

Anyway, I don't really know why I wrote about how much I hate the application process given that I sucked it up and applied anyway. I just found it particularly annoying this time because I just went through it all in Arizona. I felt like it should transfer. But whatever. I'm done ranting about that. Until it annoys me again. Then there might be another post solely devoted to the annoyances of nothing being consistent when it. should. be.

So, I applied. I got my notice to schedule from the AICPA. I scheduled the test for August 23, 2 weeks before I was supposed to take it (most people would say this is not a very good idea... and yeah, it really wasn't). Then I crammed for 4 days before the test. Then I took the test for 4.5 hours on August 23rd and walked out feeling like I really just needed a glass of wine. People ask how you think you do on stuff like that and it's like simultaneously hitting your head against a wall while trying to shoot a fly with a rubber band. Damn near impossible. I had no clue how I did on that test. Some questions were ok, some were not. Overall I was just happy to be done. Anyone who has taken this test before will tell you that they either 1) walk out crying or 2) feel like it could go either way because it's just too hard to tell if you did good or bad. I was not the exception in this case.

Last Friday I got my results back from the August 23rd test. Yes, please do the math... that's ALMOST 2 months to get the score back from a computerized test. LAME. Anyway, it was well worth the wait- I passed! With an 84. Which means I studied TOO much (you only have to have a 75).

But I was excited... I really wasn't wanting to change my career but I kinda made a little promise to myself that if I didn't pass this section after using so much time off to study for it then I was going to look into another profession. I'm not a very patient person and wasting my time taking the same test over and over again just doesn't really fit what I have in mind for my life. Granted I should probably give it more than one try but I wasn't willing to. But now I don't have to worry about that. I'm scheduled to take another section on October 31, then another on November 20 and then the final one sometime at the beginning of January.

I'm scheduled to have about 7 days off in the course of the next two months for the two upcoming tests... I hope that studying proves to be worth it again! But I won't know until, like, next June. Wish me luck!

No comments: