Monday, July 16, 2007

Weekend recap

I love those weekends that seem to drag on forever even though they are just as short as all of the rest of them. This weekend was one of THOSE weekends. The weekends where on Monday you wake up feeling somewhat ready to go back to work instead of wanting to throw the alarm clock against the wall. And if there is seriously someone out there that doesn’t ever wake up on a Monday morning with the thought of “Oh man, I just don’t want to go to work,” then I want to meet you. Because I like my job a lot. But sometimes I just want it to be Saturday every day. Especially on Monday mornings at 5:30am. But today, I felt somewhat ready to go back to work, to start a new week. We had one of those weekends. The vacation weekends. The weekend that didn’t seem to be gone in two seconds. And by the way, does anyone have an explanation for this? I swear, I have no idea why some weekends seem to fly by and some don't. There is no consistency.

Friday I left work early and we headed to Madison beach park on Lake Washington. It’s on the west side of the lake (we live on the east) but it’s fun because it has a whole view of the east side and it has diving boards smack dab in the middle of the lake that you have to swim to and then dive from. It’s also a crowd full of diverse young people. I have to say I am somewhat of an Arizona wimp still and the water was a bit chilly for me by the time we got out there Friday, so I just basked in the sun and people watched. It was priceless. I could have lived without seeing as what I will refer to as the thong girl. To give more details would just be inappropriate.

After we left Madison beach around 7, we took a tour of Seattle… through the Capitol Hill District, to Broadway, through downtown, to the Queen Anne District, along the water front and then over the bridge to west Seattle where we stopped at Alki beach, one of our favorite places that we visited a few months ago. It is in west Seattle and the beach is the Puget sound, which is an inlet of the ocean. So from there you can see the mountains to the west, Seattle to the east and the ocean stretched out everywhere in between. It is breathtaking. When we got there on Friday night, it was still absolutely gorgeous out so we watched the sunset there (which, by the way, the sun doesn’t set here until like 9:30pm in the summer!) and then ate at the cutest little restaurant, Bamboo something. It was outstanding. Words don’t do it justice. We had the best time.

Saturday we got up, made a breakfast of champions (that would be eggs-chock full of protein), played with the kittens and then meandered our way to the river, which is east of where we live. We wanted to go back to Madison but the bridge across the lake was closed this weekend effective Friday at 11pm which kind of hampered our plans. (Btw, road closures on weekends? One of my biggest pet peeves. And one Phoenix was notorious for). We had heard about this river place so we decided to give it a try and it was amazing. We were told about a hike that leads down to a sandy beach part of the river so we hiked it and we camped on the sand and swam in the river all day. We were literally the only people there all freaking day and the river was absolutely crystal clear. We reluctantly had to leave in the early evening to make it to a friends house by 9 but not before stopping to eat yummy Thai food. The rest of the night was spent was friends and where can you go wrong with that?

Yesterday we got up and did tons and tons of house chores-including laundry, washing cars, all of the boring adult stuff- before finally deciding that it was still so hot out and making the decision to go lay by the water… again. We went to a beach just about 7 miles up the road from where we live and laid by the water and studied for a couple of hours. Then we came home, made dinner together (a la chicken pasta stuff and a huge, green salad), and just relaxed for the rest of the evening.

I could not have asked for a better weekend. Seattle is outstanding in the summer. I am a little scared for October to hit (and the rain to commence) but that’s why I have friends in Phoenix! And anyone who wants to get out of the heat down there now, the invite is always open. Now, I am just back at work, counting down the minutes until next weekend… After this weekend, I am thinking I might have been a beach bum in another life. I absolutely love sandy, warm days lying in the water or around the water and playing by the water more than anything.

No comments: