Thursday, September 14, 2006

Out of commission

Both cars, that is.

Our trusty Ford Focus and of course, the mini cooper.

The mini drama is never ending and always infuriating. First of all, insurance companies are dumb. I mean, really, who are these people that we are dealing with? They are just absolute morons. On Tuesday, Tim talked to them and we were 25% liable for the accident, the other lady was 75% liable. When they talked to me on Wednesday, we were 70% liable and she was 30% liable. Did they just determine that they didn't like me after talking to me? Because nothing that happened in the accident changed from Tuesday to Wednesday. They said that ultimately it's my word against hers (so perhaps them just not liking me could be accurate) and that because she was on my right, I'm liable. Dumb. The liability is still to be determined because we learned after further discussion that they have the facts wrong regarding where exactly I was coming from before the accident happened. Apparently that changes everything... it's complicated but I'll suffice it to say that I firmly believe that it was her fault. If nothing else, they should at least say we're both equally liable (50%-50%).

Then, the body shop. Oh, the body shop. They are my new best friends. They called me several days ago to tell me that they are happy to report that they 1) Have all of the parts for my car and 2) Got everything they need from the insurance. I'm thinking, "Fantastic... my car should be done soon!" That bubble burst quickly when my guy said, "I'm happy to report that we'll have your car back to you in FOUR WEEKS!" Oh great, retard, that's just fabulous! You've already had it for four weeks. So the total for fixing my car is 8 weeks? They built the whole thing in England and shipped it to Iowa in 5 weeks. Tell me if that makes sense. Not to mention the fact that if we're 50% liable, we'll have to pay 50% of the rental car costs which are $20 a day. Do the math on that. It's more than I really care to pay for driving around a ghetto Chevy Aveo (what is that, you ask? Just picture the biggest shit box you've ever seen on the roads that is purported to be called a car. But it's a 2006 model! With no CD player! Or tape deck! Or auto locks or windows! And as a bonus it smells like old cigarettes!)

So, on top of this mess, earlier this week the focus deciding to start grinding. And not in a good grinding way. It was the type of grinding that hurt ME to hear it. We realized that it might be the brakes. The car has 106,000 miles on it, we've had it since it was brand spankin new and we've never had the brakes fixed. So we take it in and the brakes need to be fixed in a big $600 type of way... mainly because of the rotors or something (this is the part where I tuned out). Anyway, it's something major... naturally.

Now we're done to the ghetto Chevy Aveo rental car between us... sweet!

Have I mentioned that cars suck?

1 comment:

P1 said...

The emergency brake on my (ghetto) Chevy pickup locked ON for one of the rear wheels, but until we took it in, we just couldn't figure out what that horrible burning smell was coming from. $350 later, we knew.

Sorry about your car troubles.