Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Daily Owen & Bennett: 10.25.2016

I have always said, from DAY ONE, ok, maybe day two, that anyone who tries to tell me that baths calm children are BAT YOU KNOW WHAT.  Because from that first or second day (who's really paying attention at that point?), my kids have seriously lost their damn minds if even a pinky toe touched the water. As in: it's as if you've given them 4 cups of coffee and they say, oh yeah, you thought this was going to sedate me and make me go to sleep? HA, well, that's cute. Hell to the NO, it is party time!

It's just a weird phenomenon, and maybe my kids are wired differently. But I have tried every rendition of this "bath time" ritual to make it a nice calming before bed, winding down experience. NOT HAPPENING. As in EVER. It winds them up like you would not believe... whether it's a short bath, a long bath, a nice little lavender petal bath, shoot, even a shower. WATER MAKES THEM CRAZY. And there is no getting around that crazy, no matter what. You can read, you can try to do puzzles, you can try to sing, rock, hold, do whatever ritual you "think" might make a kid want to sleep. Negative captain.

I have long since operated under the principal that all kids are different so screw people who say that things should be "XX" or "YY." In this case, I have learned to embrace the crazy. They are boys, they are high energy, and bath time just adds fuel to that fire. You might think that the way to get around this would be to avoid baths altogether. Again, might I remind you of just one small word: BOYS. One of which apparently likes to put live snails in his pockets (another story). Let's just say that avoiding bath time is not a negotiable subject.

Dance time party post bath:


No comments: