Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pregnancy round 2: week 17.

Week 17. Oh week 17. I am SO, SO glad you are behind me...and since I'm 20 weeks today, you are far behind me. I swear I am going to get caught up on this.

Pictures:

Side shot.


Front shot.


Week 16 side shot.


Week 16 front shot.

How I'm feeling?
This week was awful. Just awful. I got so sick and I think it was only slightly (and possibly inadvertently pregnancy related). We went to the midwives and for my freaking itching, they told me to drink nettle tea. I drank a nettle tea mixture last time in pregnancy (right before giving birth as it helps the uterus contract), so figured no big deal and also: I will try ANYTHING to get the itching to stop. So, I sent my dear husband to the health store to buy some loose leaf nettle tea for me to try. That night we steeped some and I drank a cup. Next morning, drank another cup. My stomach felt a little off and it was only a matter of an hour or so before I was in the bathroom...where I spent the bulk of the day. Let me just say: being sick while pregnant and knowing that the sickness is most likely not pregnancy related = WORST THING EVER. 

I can only draw the line that somehow I am allergic to nettle tea. It was a similar reaction as I now have to mushrooms (which also started after I was pregnant with Owen). So, maybe it's something in each of these things?? Anyway, over 24 hours of a 100+ fever and feeling like I was going to die, and eventually I FINALLY felt a tiny bit better and was at least able to eat some bread. AWFUL. 

On the plus side: I did feel the baby move for sure this week (I thought I did last week but wasn't positive). It is WAY earlier than last time, but that is pretty typical for the second time around. I will say hands down that this is by far the coolest (albeit completely crazy) thing about being pregnant. 

How I'm changing?
Nothing too notable here but I will say that my little boobies did finally get the memo that I'm pregnant again and started to grow like crazy. I forgot how much they can hurt. OW. 

What I'm eating?
This week I basically had 4 days where I could barely eat anything and everything sounded repulsive. Awesome job food poisoning, just awesome. I can say one thing I will NOT be touching, probably ever again: nettle tea. 

Weight I'm gaining? 
131 pounds this week. Last week I was 129 so that's about normal. I was 129 with Owen, so still pretty much right where I should be. I just FEEL so much bigger this time around. I'm already in maternity clothes, I feel like I'm popping out WAY more than I was with Owen at this stage and I just feel like a house already. I think that's just par for the course for #2, but the numbers indicate that I'm right in line with where I should be. Part of the issue is probably that I'm so busy at work and with Owen that I just don't have the time like I had last time to work out. 

How I'm sleeping? 
Really can't complain much here. I wake up about once a night to pee, and once a night for Owen. It's really awesome on nights when the two are combined... or better yet when I don't wake up at all! I remember last time being awake a lot more often to pee so I will say that is one nice thing about this time around. 

What's the baby doing?

The baby is 5.1 inches long and about the size of an onion (seriously what is with the fruit/vegetable references for baby size? It cracks me up).
-The baby has mastered swallowing, sucking, and blinking and may have hiccups
-The baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone and the umbilical cord is growing stronger and thicker
-Fat and sweat glands are forming underneath the baby's skin and will continue to do so until the later months of pregnancy to help prepare your baby for the temperature change from inside the womb to outside


What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
Whelp, can't say that we did anything (AGAIN) this week to prepare for the baby. This poor kid already has #2 syndrome. I think in the next few weeks (months), it's going to start to click that we have another one on the way and I'll get in to gear and start doing something (anything!?)

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
Other than the whole feeling sick thing this week, I really don't FEEL too pregnant. I don't remember feeling like that with Owen. I always FELT pregnant. This time, I have to really think about it or I feel a flutter or something and am like OH YEAH. It's pretty funny.

No comments: