Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pregnancy round 2: week 16.

Another week down! And another week I am behind. Week 19 tomorrow, so yeah. Just bear with me. It's busy season, I have a toddler, and my time is a little bit of a hot commodity at the moment.

The pictures in all of their glory:

Week 16 side shot. 


Week 16 front shot.


Week 15 for comparison. Not sure why I look bigger the week before... 


And week 15, front shot. And it just occurred to me. Week 15 was also known as the week of the BLOAT. Not sure if I mentioned that in my last post, but these pictures confirm it. Also: really not a pleasant side effect. 

How I'm feeling?
I'm  feeling pretty good besides the itching. I am STILL ITCHING. I seriously could itch holes in my skin because it's so itchy. It's incredible. Other than that, I am just glad that the sickness has subsided for the most part and I'm eating relatively normally again. But, my god, MAKE THE ITCHING STOP. 


How I'm changing?
Definitely getting bigger and thicker and can definitely now feel my uterus below my belly button, which makes sense as it continues to pop up and out. I'm also now feeling better so I'm able to actually (GASP) WORK OUT. It's a novelty that I have missed way too much. I was so sick that the thought of doing anything other than sit on my butt and try not to move lest The Sickness would return, that I basically became the epitome of a statue the past few months. Oh, yeah, and the whole office job/busy season thing has played a role in that, too. BUT, like I said, in the past few weeks I am feeling increasingly better, almost NORMAL, so I have resumed to my regular scheduled activities like running, the gym, hiking, etc. It is AWESOME. 

Oh. One not so cool thing this week. We went back to the doctor to have a 16 week ultrasound because the baby had some sort of tricuspid regurgitation in his/her heart at the 12 week ultrasound so this was a double check of that. Still a bit of regurgitation, but apparently it's really common in most babies this age. I may have mentioned this before but they whole pregnancy brain thing is in full force and I don't feel like going back to see if I did mention it. Anyway, I actually had kind of high blood pressure at the appointment. It was 120/80, which I know is "normal" but for me is really high. My blood pressure is usually at 110/60. I guess we'll just keep monitoring it to see how it goes. 

What I'm eating?
At the ultrasound the doctor said that the baby is measuring very large (almost a week ahead and super tall), so I should "watch the carbs." I laughed and thought of my basically all carb diet for the past few months, and my recent infatuation with potatoes... And the fact that a doctor was telling a pregnant lady to watch carbs (really?!) 

Needless to say, I am trying to be a little bit better in that area, but I'm also not really that worried about it. Owen ALWAYS measured huge and he still is a big kid. And, he came out just fine. I will say I craved chicken this week which is quite funny as usually this is one of the most repulsive things I could eat. But, hey, I guess anything goes. Also: cookies and cream ice cream. YUM.  (Don't tell my doctor). 

Weight I'm gaining? 
130 pounds this week, up one pound. Still a couple pounds off (more) than where I was at with Owen, but really not too worried. I only feel like I am a full tanker truck ton heavier. It just all popped out this time around. 

How I'm sleeping? 
Ha. Ha. Ha. This was the week of ZERO sleep. Yippee! Owen went through a growth spurt so we were up all. of. the. time. Either that or us talking to Owen about having a new baby around prompted him to go in to "newborn training"mode. Either way, mama is TIRED. Trying to function and make smart decisions at work (and hell, even in life), is basically a big hilarious joke where I am sure SOMEONE is laughing but it's not me. Either that, or it's like the worst drunken night of your life. Essentially that's what the pregnancy/toddler sleep deprived brain fog feels like. It's bad. I just want my brain back please! And some sleep would be nice, too. 

What's the baby doing?

The baby is about 4.6 inches or the size of an avocado
-The baby's limbs are more developed, legs and arms are longer and are becoming more controlled in movement.
-The baby's skeletal system is developing more as calcium is deposited into the bones. Over the next couple of weeks, the baby's weight will double (IE: GROWTH SPURT...perhaps the reason for craving massive carbs?)
-The baby's head is much more erect and his eyes have moved closer together. The baby has also continued to grow fingernails and is starting to grow toenails.
-The baby's heart is pumping 25 quarts of blood EACH day (woah)...
-Some people start to feel the baby move this week (more on that later)


What we are doing to prepare for the baby?
Um. Yeah. Nothing. I think last time at this same point in the pregnancy I was involved in signing us up for birthing classes and looking in to a doula and planning the nursery, and O.M.G. we have to go shopping every day to look and drool at the adorable baby clothes! Bah. This time I am not jaded at all in the slightest. The biggest thing we did this week for the new little guy or gal was our newborn sleep training courtesy of Owen, where we remember what it is in fact like to have a newborn waking up every 30 seconds. Except a newborn would have also been only wanting me (IE: my boobies) so at least with Owen's training of us, Justin could help him, too. Meaning: Justin could also suffer through it with me. 

Random thoughts on pregnancy (pregnancy brain?)
The second pregnancy is so different. It's been different all around. I don't know that I'm going to eloquently describe WHY but it's just so different. You think you know what to expect and then those expectations are thrown out the window when you feel SO much unlike you did before. Then part of you just doesn't care because you have an idea of what you're getting in to and you know at the end of the day, a year from now, you'll have a totally dissimilar life than the whole pregnancy thing. It's really such a different experience this time around.  

No comments: