Saturday, January 4, 2014

Month 12: Dear Owen,

Hi. I didn't forget about you. Or this. I promise. I think I was just TRYING to forget about the fact that you turned one whole year old. You know, meaning that if I didn't actually formally write about it, then clearly that means that you won't be one anymore. This logic makes sense, right? (Please don't learn from my logic). In all reality, since you've turned one, we've had a whirlwind of CRAZY. We moved in to a new house and have gone on a couple of trips in September and October, so here we are, ahem, past Christmas, into bloody 2014 and almost FIVE months past your 1 year birthday. It's a good thing I took notes because the lines are so blurry between months that if I really tried to write this now, I'd write more about what you are doing now (hi little walker and talker!) vs what you were doing then (definitely NOT walking). So, let's do this one year post. And I'll try not to get all sappy that my little baby is so totally not a BABY anymore.

Weekly shots:


Approximately 3 days after finding out I was pregnant... and turns out I was almost 11 weeks at that. Crazy to look at this picture and think that I was even remotely "big" then. Man, I want to slap myself! So tiny even almost being 3 months along with you. 


Here you are at your first ultrasound... maybe 14ish weeks or so? It was around Valentine's day and we were so excited to see YOU. After I found out I was pregnant and heard your heartbeat, I literally took another 15 pregnancy tests just to make sure I was really pregnant (much to your dad's dismay). I just didn't FEEL pregnant and didn't quite believe it. So those helped me (and also, hi pregnancy crazy hormones!) The ultrasound sealed the deal and you became real. So amazing.


A couple of months later, April 9, 2012, to be exact, we had our second and final ultrasound. The big ultrasound where we would find out if you were a boy or girl. Of course, I had all intentions to NOT find out but the second we walked in there, I said TELL ME NOW! I had to know. Of course you were a boy, as we'd both thought all along. And you also may inherit my impatience. Sorry. 


LABOR DAY! Hours before I had you, my last pregnancy shot. OH MY WORD. I'm sure if you ever look at this in your adult life I will hear a huge groan and MOOOOM. (sorry, dude). 


Hours after the labor shot, you popped right out, screaming before you were even out of my body. I think of your birth no less than several times a week. It was an experience unlike any other. It changed me- as a person, a wife...and ultimately it made me a mother. It was the most beautiful experience I will ever be able to have... life in its most raw, powerful, and in its finest. It was nothing like labor is typically depicted- as painful or awful. Yes, there was pain, yes, there were screams. But, it was AMAZING. It was powerful, intense, really a common experience as women give birth every day, but I would give birth again and again every day if I could just for the sheer out of body incredible experience that it was. You know, if I could avoid the whole pregnancy thing and having a ton of kids thing. Obviously, the best part about it was that I got you out of it, but the whole experience we shared together was just nothing I can describe in words adequately.


I was so elated to meet you. I was so elated to have shared the birth experience with you. I was just elated to be your mama. Even then, I didn't truly know what that was going to mean and only now does my heart blow up even more thinking of everything you are and who you've become in just one short year.


Oh man, o-chee. You were not a happy camper for your first month photos. I remember that day like it was yesterday. 


Month 2.


Month 3.



Month 4.


Month 5.


Month 6.


Month 7.


Month 8.


Month 9.


Grumpy month 10.


Month 11.


Annnnd.... month 12... wherein I couldn't get you to sit still for a picture to save my life. 


We had a turtle brunch party for your one year birthday.  Lots of little brunch type things and right after your morning nap so you'd be chipper for the party. It was a little insane as we had your party on August 18 and just days later we closed on our new house, so our old house was in the process of being torn apart, but we made it. 


And instead of cake, you got a stack of pancakes. In my opinion, this is WAAAY better than cake because pancakes are pretty much the best thing ever. 


You were a little unsure of everyone singing to you. 


Picture of the big boy and mama. Crazy from a year ago as on August 18, 2012 I was in active labor pretty much all day! 


And a family shot of all of us. Love love. 


A picture of all your buddies at your party. 


On your actual first birthday, it started off in tantrum as you'd gotten in to some diaper cream and I took it away from you. Of course mean mama had to get a picture first. 


You in your 1 year cape! 


And a picture of all of us on your first year birthday and our 2nd anniversary! 


Grandma and grandpa were in town for your first birthday which of course you love because you get spoiled silly. 


Including a new trike! It was a special day to celebrate you and because grandpa and grandma were in town, Mama and Poppy even got to go on a date night for our anniversary at the same place we went after our wedding two years ago (Canlis). 


Let's back track to earlier in your 12th month. At the end of July, we made a day trip to Wenatchee to pick up your older brother Oliver to move him in with us. It was a pretty special day as he had decided he wanted to live with us. I know you love having him around. 


An added bonus- you got to play with oldest brother Bailey! 


The day after we moved Oliver over, we went to my company picnic and took a family photo. 


And, like I said, we started the process of moving from Kirkland to Fall city.... 


So, we of course also started packing. A lot. You wanted to be part of it. 


You continued your stair climbing endeavors.


Sadly  for you there are no stairs at our new house.


You continued to eat like a champ this month too, exploring everything and trying everything. You don't seem to have any issues with peanut butter or eggs or any of the "common" allergens. We don't do much animal products or wheat, which is good as I do think you have an allergy to wheat.


Eating like a big boy at a restaurant. You are generally pretty good in restaurants. 


Because the summer was hot, you decided that you'd couple your love of food and attempt to stay cool by climbing IN to the fridge. Hey, whatever works. 


Sleep is still a point of contention. You've just never been a good sleeper. I can't complain a whole lot as you are such a good tempered kid during the day, but I'd love it if we could get some more sleep. Back when you turned 1, I thought for sure by now at almost your 1.5 year mark, we'd for SURE be getting more sleep. Ha. ha. ha. (HELLO, 18 month sleep regression, also, BOO).


Maybe someday you'll figure out the beauty of sleep and give your old parents a very nice gift. 


We also continued on your swim lessons, even though we quit them shortly after we moved as they were right by our old house. You loved being in the water so our plan is to get you back to them as soon as possible. 



We also played a ton of tennis at the end of the summer (ahhh summer!)  Your poppy and I would play while you watched (not a chance in hell this would work now!), then you'd crawl all over the tennis courts for your own sort of exercise. 


You also loved just sitting there with your own racket and ball watching everything go on.


Of course, we spent more time at the gym. Your home turf.


You continued to love it (and still do). 


Sometimes your little buddy Addie was there and you were just infatuated with her. 


We also ran in a race in August. It was only a 5K but we pushed you and did it in 27 minutes. Not too shabby for not running in a while and having a stroller on a hilly course. 


You didn't seem to mind at all. 


We also got your first hair cut in August. You did so well and looked like such a big boy. 


Here you are after we were done saying Owen is "so big!" 


We also went to your pal Olivia's first birthday party. It was so cute watching all of you play together. 


Owen and Griff. Two handsome boys.


And all the mamas and their babes. Hard to believe a year ago we all had huge baby bumps!


You continued to be a complete goofball this month. Your little personality just came exploding through and we've really enjoyed the little man you are becoming. Of course, you like to do everything early so we are even experiencing a taste of what terrible two tantrums might be like. But mostly those are a cause for us to try not to crack up because you are so dramatic. 




You are such a little charmer and love your mama and poppy. You also love to dance your butt off, which is almost too cute. You shake your hips like it's no one's business. We are hoping that your dance skills don't come from either of us.


You also love to do anything outside. As long as you are out and about, you are happy. You love hikes, you love water, you love playing in the grass. You just love exploring. You HATE being restrained inside. This is definitely a trait of your poppy and I as both of us do not like that either, so we can't fault you there. 


Another thing you've found that you enjoy is books. You get bored pretty quickly of them but you do bring them to us to read to you so the interest is beginning to come to fruition. 








We so love you little man. Your smile is infectious, your laugh is heart warming, and your cuddles make everything right in the world. You are such a sensitive little soul who is so aware of everything around you- when we are happy, when we are sad, when others are happy and sad. You are exploring who you are and what makes you YOU. To watch this exploration is an honor. We are blessed to be called your parents, even if that means that we are perpetually sleep deprived and get head butted by you in your stubbornness to try to get your way (payback for our own stubbornness!) It's so fun to watch your independence emerge, but to still have you look back at us and grab our hands because we are still your favorite people in the world. Even though you want to assert yourself, you still want to make sure that we aren't too far behind. Someday you will probably look at us and want us to be about 100 yards (or miles) away from you, but hopefully that's not for another 16 years or so. And hopefully, even then you will still know deep down that there are two people in this big, old, wide, confusing, sometimes hurtful, but mostly beautiful world, that truly, truly love you without any sort of condition. That is the one constant you can carry with you your whole life- we will always love you and will always be here for you. Our lives would be empty without you and we are forever grateful you are our son, and will forever love you and be proud to call you our own.  Happy first year Ocheemo.

Love,
Mama. 

No comments: