Sunday, August 18, 2013

Daily Owen: 8.18.2013


A year ago today: I woke up at 6am with "cramping." I thought, screw you, stop cramping... it's been 100 degrees all week, my sweet husband finally installed air conditioning in our room so I am SLEEPING IN. I proceeded to *try* to sleep for the next hour and realized that my "cramps" were coming at very regular intervals. I then decided to time them and realized "regular intervals" meant every 6 minutes. Well, crap.

I woke up Justin to tell him that I could possibly be in labor but thought it was probably false labor. You know, because I had better things to do that day. So, I went on my way. I got in the shower and completed the circus act called shaving my legs at 10 months pregnant, and then put on makeup and got dressed for coffee with the girls. After a few hours at Jen's, I was holding on to her counter for dear life and realized that my "cramping" was definitely contractions in the form of every 4-5 minutes. I figured I should get home.

I stopped at the store for an anniversary present for Justin, then got home, had some lunch, sent out some work emails, celebrated an impromptu stair anniversary with Justin, made lactation cookies (which, by the way- contractions were a great cookie timer), went on a walk (barely) around the block with contractions every 3 minutes, and then things get a little fuzzy. I sat and bounced on the stairs a lot, then finally insisted we get to the midwives NOW at 9pm. We arrived at 10pm and much to every one's surprise (but mine), little Owen David met us at 12:10am on August 19, our first anniversary. (For nostalgia's sake, you can revisit the birth story here).

Needless to say, today has so much meaning for me. I've almost cried a million times today just thinking of where we were last year at this time and meeting our sweet boy for the first time. I would go back in an instant to do it all over again.

Today we celebrated his first birthday, complete with turtles. No babies bawled, everyone was happy.... the little newest turtle is going to sleep right through his 12:10am birthday mark (hopefully) because he had such a big day. I'd call it a raging success. On to year 2!








No comments: