Thursday, December 13, 2012

Month 3: Dear Owen,

Oops. You are sixteen weeks old now...which means you are now closer to four months than three months. Which also means I am WAAAY behind. Well, hey, better late than never, right? (except on homework or at work...actually, just don't learn from me and don't use that motto at all). 

Your monthly photo shoot with the moose: 


Month 3


Being a ham in month 3.


Month 2, still as cute as can be but not quite sure about this world yet. 


And month 1... the infamous SCREAMS! 

My, oh, my how far we've come in just three months. 

Except on the sleep front. 

Once again, I'd like to take a moment to recognize that you do in fact sleep (if only just to amuse myself as I sit here more sleep deprived than I actually even knew was possible. Did you know that I actually can't even form a coherent sentence? That my eyes look like glass marbles because they are so glazed over and unfocused? Oh, I cannot WAIT until you have kids and tell me thank you for living through these awful non-sleeping months with you): 


Sleeping in the carseat early in month three with your monkey pacifier (funny enough, you prefer the frog)...


More sleep in the carseat.


Passed out on your mama in a milk coma. 




And thus we will have a moment of silent and send up the 1000000000 millionth prayer that maybe, just maybe you start practicing the trend in the above pictures say from 10pm-5am. PLEASE? I will say that this month got just a tiny bit better on the sleep front. TINY. And only just because you started to develop a pattern to your days and nights. We could count on the fact that you'd sleep from 10pm-2am pretty much every night without fail. Then from 3am-6am. BUT. The nights where you woke up at midnight, then 3am, then 6am? NOT COOL. Or the nights where your mama decided she was wide awake after the 2am feeding? NOT COOL. I wish I could say I've reached a peak in the sleep deprivation thing but I'm not so sure. I can't even imagine what it would be like to sleep even 7 hours straight right now, or even 6 hours straight. And really? This has to change. Sleep deprivation does not look good on me, plus, it makes me rather dumb. 


Some nights you decide that you've had enough of this sleep business and you can't understand why mom and dad incessantly BEG you to do more of it. These are the nights where we party hard. You're going to do great in college if you keep this up...


We also went on a lot of field trips this month since it was my last full month off work so we spent time getting ready for me to go back to work and taking full advantage of the time off I had. We visited your pops at the gym... 


You spent time playing with our new nanny and your new BFF Sandra while your dad and I went to a business luncheon (by the way, we tested the nanny waters out a lot this month- to ease both of us in. We all did great with the transition).



We went to more breakfasts in Seattle. 


This month was full of many milestones for you, one being that you started to drool. And not just drool as in, "That's pretty cute- drool bubbles!" but, "OH MY GOODNESS, he actually might need a change of clothes from all that drool." The amount of spit you produce is really quite fascinating. 


Oh here's a picture that you'll love as a teenager! Your poop face! And in this particular photo you were trying to poop so hard you spit up. I couldn't stop laughing- notice the corner of your mouth in the right side of the picture (what a mean mom). 


You also continued to try out tummy time. You continued to hate it, even though you are getting so much stronger. 


The play gym, your love. YOU LOVE IT. You kick and grab for hours in this thing. And in fact, in the above photo, you kicked so hard one day you kicked your pants straight off. I couldn't help but laugh at you... again. 


...on a related note to kicking the pants off, we've found that you LOVE to be naked or not have pants on. If you are upset, we strip you down and instantly you are appeased. 


You also LOVE baths. The picture above captures how intense you are during a bath. Again, IT IS SO FUNNY. I can't help it O-e-o, you just crack us up. In the bath, you kick kick kick and splash splash splash, all the while having the serious expression as if you are solving the world's biggest problem. 


This month you also modeled the ridiculous amount of shoes your mom bought for you. One thing is for sure, at three months you are now rivaling your mom and dad's shoe collections (which is no small feat!) 


...I think you may just be more of a stud than either of us. 


It also started to get COLD in Seattle so we bundled you up all snug in your snow bunny suit for a couple of walks. I think you were a fan. You're like your mama- you hate being cold. 


Your uncle Jon also came to visit during your third month and he taught you how to watch football properly. Another thing you still very much enjoy. 


You also got your first experience wine tasting and meeting all of the people at the wineries we belong to that have been wanting to meet you. Your mom even had a couple of tastes of wine (above) which was a novelty given your continued green poops. 


During your uncle's visit, you showed him your cool trick of staring at the fan. I think he loved it as much as you do.


It was also your first halloween in which you were a little monkey....


...and rocked a frankenstein outfit. 



You also hung out with your closest friends, one of whom was only a few days old, another of which was the only girl and was. not. happy. about this. 


Luckily, later another girl showed up so Olivia was not so upset. 


All the mamas and their kiddos. 


You also met Santa for the first time during month 3. You did really well. No tears, just a look of "WHAT IN THE WORLD, GUYS?" We couldn't quite get you to smile as you were very unsure of the whole thing but I think this santa guy is going to grow on you over the years. 


Your mom dressed you up in a ridiculous outfit for photos with Santa, but you were once again, the most dapper dude. 


I'm not quite sure where this month went, Owen. Or now that we are well at 4 months where the last month went. We spent a lot of this month still working on your green poops with similar outcomes to previous months. Meaning: you are still pooping green but we've come to accept that you will just have green poops and since you are healthy and growing in every other way, that's ok. I also spent a lot of this month anxiously preparing to go back to work and leaving you. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it all but when it came down to it, I knew that I'd be a better mom to you if I was able to get out some and to work at what I know I'm good at. 


My fear came in as I just didn't want anything to happen to you. But the more I left you in the hands of others and gained my own freedoms, the more I was comfortable with leaving you. You never seemed to mind too much and were always just happy when I came home. 


I was worried I'd miss milestones, but, I still see you more than ever and you are the only person that I would give up anything for... my job, my money, the clothes off my back. I'd even give you the best part of the brownie when you want it...the ooey gooey mushy part. That's love, kid. Someone asked me recently what has surprised me most about being a mother and my answer was that I am surprised at just how much I love you, and how well I know you innately. I mean, I KNEW I'd love you. I KNEW people said you'll love your child unconditionally. But I wasn't sure what that meant. It's a love unlike no other. I feel it at the very core of who I am, in every breath I take. I feel like this love, YOU, are such a part of me that I would do anything for you in an instant, that I only want the best for you and that for you even losing sleep is just a blip on the radar. As someone that's always lived life for herself, this unselfish, deep, unyielding love is new to me. I feel it for you and I feel it for your dad. As I've come out of the newborn haze and have really started to get to know you, every day I think how amazing it is to have you in our lives and that I'm the luckiest person in the world to have this little family. Now if you could just tell me how in the world you went from this: 


to THIS: 


...all in the blink of an eye, I'd love to know. I wouldn't trade where we are today for anything although I miss my little newborn peanut... but that smile slays me and melts me in ways I wouldn't have ever thought possible before I saw it in all of its gummy glory. I wouldn't trade this growth or the last three months for anything in the world. 

Love, Mama

No comments: