Saturday, December 31, 2011

Kansas City, here we come!

On December 23, Justin and I flew out to Kansas City to be with my family for the actual holidays.


The trip started off on a good note as we had packed our bags just perfectly, exactly the limit- 50 pounds. Of COURSE we meant to do that.

After dinner with my family and my cousin Patrick, we played a few games and then crashed. We got up on Christmas Eve ready to work out. Fail. The gym wouldn't let us in. Boo hoo as it is always a hilarious experience to workout at a gym in the midwest. We figured we'd try again in a few days and just go on a run on Christmas eve since it was mid-50s and sunny. It was GREAT weather for a run, even though we went pretty far and were both pretty sore, surprisingly. I think the flatness makes the runs go longer than we are used to.


On Christmas eve night, after going to the Christmas eve service, we pulled out the ole monopoly game. Not my favorite but I always say I will play once a year. This was my one time. I actually ended up winning although towards the end, Justin took over for me because I was over it.


We also dug out old pictures circa about 1984. Pretty cute.


The next morning, Christmas day, Justin and I got up to make the typical Christmas day breakfast- quiche and blueberry coffee cake.


Don't be scared of our morning picture. Yikes. Sadly, in a few years we will think how young we looked in this picture.


The quiches ready to go... one was cheese and meat, one was veggie.


Something weird happened with the crust- it exploded! Oh well, it still tasted good.


Another angle of the exploding crust.


A while after breakfast we all gathered to open presents. Above: my brother Jon.


And my grandma, eating her breakfast.


A picture of the "kids."


My family...man, we definitely are getting older...


And Justin and I. First Christmas as a married couple. Aww.


One more shot of my brother and I sitting by the tree. It was a lot harder to get down there than it used to be as a kid!


Justin and I with our loot, pre-opening. We really must have been pretty good this year. Santa really liked us even in Missouri.


Perhaps his favorite present- gummy bears. I am a good wife to support this habit (addiction?) of his.


Later that night my aunt, uncle and cousin Patrick came over (they moved back to Kansas from California in April). After Christmas dinner,  played ping pong for about 3 hours...it was quite fun.


My brother and uncle.


The day after Christmas, we all took off for Lamoni, Iowa for Christmas with my dad's side of the family. Here is Justin getting ready for the car ride (and playing on the new phone I got him and gave to him at his family's Christmas).


We also celebrated my dad's birthday up there (it's on the 27th). It was quite an eventful day in Lamoni as my cousin's 2 year old son woke up from a nap with a very high temperature and started siezing. One thing about living in small town Iowa: my uncle is the parmacist and the doctor lives 2 doors down so they were able to quickly treat Connor and diagnose him with strep throat. Unfortunately later that night he had another siezure after we left and my cousin and her husband had to spend the night in the hospital. Bummer (of course, he is all better now).


Meanwhile, we played more ping pong with my dad's family...



My mom and I... we were out of the game for the moment, apparently.


Action shot of Justin and I!

The following few days Justin and I just hung out in Kansas City. We were able to weasel our way into the gym (thank god because I REALLY wanted to amuse myself by watching someone attempt to run on the treadmill in cowboy boots and carharts!), we walked in the 60 degree days (so weird, but gorgeous!), we visited my aunt and uncle at their house in Kansas, we saw some college friends, we watched KU with my parents, we went shopping and we just relaxed and spent time with family and friends. It was a great week and a very successful Christmas #2!

No comments: