Saturday, June 10, 2006

The day of June 8

I truly believe there was something funky happening on June 8. I don't have many bad, crazy days but Thursday was one of those days... Here's a couple of highlights:

1) Computer problems... I'm working on a client that I have a tight deadline on. Basically what I'm doing is creating a report that consolidates the general ledger/trial balances of several entities. It's the report where I do all of my work on. On Thursday, this report decides to go absolutely haywire. So, we do all we know how to do to fix it... we get the IT people involved, we regenerate the report-nothing works. Then I call the software technical support (an external company). They recreate a new report for me and fix several problems on my computer. So I'm thinking, "Perfect, I should be good to go!" So in addition to the 3 hours I've spent getting to a point where I think the report is fixed, after this I spend another 3 re-doing my work on the new report, doing periodical checks to make sure it is working, etc. I finish and it appears to be working. Then, I hit save one last time before I close it. It completely screws up again- I'm talking arrows all over the page, duplicate accounts (not a good thing when you're going for accurate account balances), complete chaos. I was almost in tears-that's how frustrated I was. So then I call the technical support back and tell them I'm going to email them a whole package and that they basically need to get their shit together and figure out is going on... As of today (Saturday) I still haven't heard back. And did I mention that we're on a tight deadline, here? As in, I have two days until it has to be met. Ugh.
2) Right after this report continued to be completely jacked, Tim calls and asks "Have you ever had any problems with getting the key into the ignition of the Focus?" Ummm... nope. He went to lunch with a co-worker and when they came out they couldn't get the key into the ignition. They finally managed to get it in but then it wouldn't turn. They had three people working on getting it in. And it wouldn't go. So, the drama begins. We just got AAA (thank GOD!) and so we called to get the car towed to the dealer (did I mention that the Focus had just hit 100,000 miles that morning... so naturally a problem occurs after the century mark). The tow truck was called at about 2 p.m. The car wasn't towed until about 10 p.m. (A mess in itself). So, I left the office at about 5 pm (after realizing that a bunch of additional things in my report were screwy and realizing that the day would end right then) and picked up Tim. We went to the gym and felt great. Once we got home, he dropped his phone. And even though he's dropped it about 500 times, this time it basically shattered and is not really usable. Oh, and it's the phone by which the tow truck people are trying to call us. Anyway, I guess it all worked out in the end... the ignition was jacked up so it cost $250 to fix it and we're getting Tim a new phone tomorrow... really, the whole thing was just comical...
3) Other random things happened to us (that aren't worth writing about) and to several of my friends on Thursday (including breakups, resignations of people) that seemed crazy in the 'normal' scheme of things...

So, anyway, June 8, dudes. Let me tell you... watch out next year. Tim and I were talking on Friday June 9 about how we were so glad that the previous day was over. Yeah, it was that weird. At least we were able to laugh about it...

1 comment:

P1 said...

Fords are known for their bad ignition switches. You'd think they would get that figured out after about 20 years of regular problems.