Sunday, April 24, 2016

Daily Owen & Bennett: 4.18.2016

Tax day! Yippee!

Or also: The day the tree fell on our house. The 200 foot evergreen tree. The tree that, if it  was 3-4 feet in another direction, could have seriously hurt us, or even killed us. Not being dramatic. So yeah. Not so yippee.

I hadn't slept all night because I was freaked out. Why? I don't know. Retrospect says I intuitively knew something was going to happen. Which also creeps me out. Who knows, but it was unusually windy. Some freak storm isolated to just our neck of the woods. I kept looking at the weather, and it kept saying the wind was only 5-10mph. Um no. 

I had finally fallen asleep around 3am when I was woken up rudely at 4am from dreaming about work. As in, thought we were having an earthquake. Heard the cracking, and thundering. Insert adrenaline. Sat straight up in bed as Justin did the same and we both yelled "go!" (As in get the hell out)....not before I grabbed my glasses...not my most brilliant move. Justin runs in to Bennett's room and I run out to the main room as we heard the crash and thud and we just stood there paralyzed like...is that it? Is there more? And also: what the hell!? It was quiet then, so we kept B asleep. Nothing was through our bedroom and we knew it hit back there. Justin had seen it falling towards us. 

We walked outside and tried to get a glimpse of the damage. Too dark. An hour or so later, as I was still basically about ready to pee my pants, I looked out the bedroom window to this:


And then walked outside to see this:




In the midst of this the tree had pushed open the gate and the dogs both ran off (they came back). It was an interesting (for lack of a better word) morning.

So. Yeah. Scary. Could have been so much worse. So much worse. Hug your loved ones people! Also: if your neighbor points out a tree on her property that her arborist says "could fall" but "likely won't" or at least "will definitely not fall on your house"...call bullshit. You can't control nature and everything that "shouldn't" have happened did. We were very lucky...but now I want to chop down every tree around us! 


Later today: treating an owie. 


And a new way of eating snacks! 

No comments: