Thursday, January 14, 2016

Daily Owen & Bennett: 1.11.2016

The day I've always dreaded since I even considered becoming a parent happened today. 

In retrospect it kind of started Saturday night but in our ignorance (or hope) we didn't put two and two together. Saturday night Bennett threw up. Weird. But not really. He's the king of barf. Hurls at everything he doesn't like. Granted...this one was a little more than a gag reflex but his temperament was fine and so we thought no big deal. Again, all in retrospect. The next day, B had diarrhea. Huh. Odd again. Must have thrown up from something he actually ate and now it's working it's way through. Weird. That night (Sunday) he wakes up screaming, and there's dried barf on his pillow. He napped at Miss Collette's Sunday, so we are not sure when exactly he threw up in his sleep-Saturday or Sunday. (Also: I put him down in the dark so definitely parent fail if it was there and I didn't notice it). Today we woke up and all seemed ok. Owen had a runny nose, but everyone was happy.

B took an early nap...

I worked out first thing and noticed my stomach felt a little funny. Nothing too crazy, just off. Weird. I went to work, and a few hours later, after having, ahem, issues out the backside, and pretty nasty knots in my stomach, I decided I was definitely not eating anything else and needed to head home with maybe a stop for ginger on the way. Blech. I get home about 1:30 after dragging myself in to the store for some ginger, help put the kids down, and Justin is like "I'm totally going to throw up." Oh.emmm.g. At this point I was fairly sure I was going to puke too. 

By 4pm Justin had puked his guts out and set up his home on the floor of the bathroom. I was still rallying and hadn't thrown up, and actually felt a little better...at least better enough to where I didn't think I was going to puke anymore. Not better enough to even remotely consider eating. 

So, while Justin staked out in the bathroom with his head mostly in the toilet (as an aside: he's never thrown up in the 6 years we've been together...so I knew he must be really sick), I dealt with the kids who seemed fine and were running around like tyrants. A note: cooking dinner for them while having an iffy stomach: not fun. At 7pm Bennett threw up. All over. Crap. Funny thing: we debated sending Owen's to Collette's for the night thinking maybe then he wouldn't get it. Man, are we ignorant! Ha! 

Somehow we make it to 9pm--us right befkre then:


I nurse B and rock him to sleep. It takes forever. At about 40 minutes in, he hurts all over. Carpet, me, himself. I manage to catch it in a toy box and then run him to the bathroom. Meanwhile Justin is trying to get Owen to bed while I am dealing with B. B finally goes to sleep and I go to help with Owen. Justin feels sick again so is back to his spot on the bathroom floor. I turning lights off and hustling Owen to bed when Owen says "mom, I think I want to barf." Oh no. 

I rush him to the bathroom and Justin is laying on the floor so blocking the door. We push it in just in time for Owen to hurl all over everything. Dang it! 

And so my worst nightmare: everyone in the house puking but me. The night continued with barf all night.... B several times and Owen about 20 times. What a disaster! Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

No comments: