Saturday, September 21, 2013

Daily Owen: 9.20.2013

It was a long day of travels over here...and at 1am the little man was partying like I don't even know what as a result of getting thrown off kilter. We started the day bright and early with breakfast with my mom before we hit the road. 

After a quick stop and a loooong time trying to get off the strip, we were on the road by 9.30am. 


We passed the Hoover dam and Owen slept. He slept all the way until Kingsman Arizona at which point I fed him and he proceeded to freak out for the next 1.5 hours in revolt of the blasted carseat. We decided to keep on as planned and he would deal (karma: hello, 1am, I promise never to screw with my kids schedule ever again!) At around 2pm we arrived at the Grand Canyon. We were all beyond happy to get out of the car.



Owen then proceeded to nap in the back pack (ugh...again HI late night party!)




We hiked around the rim a bit and then decided to spend just a little more time and hike down in  to the canyon.


We only did about 5 to 6 miles but it was enough to capture the enormity of the canyon. Amazing no matter how often you see it. There really are no words.

After coming back up, we had a little snack (Owen is currently obsessed with watermelon) and we hiked back to our car. Around 5pm, we headed out and made it to Flagstaff around 6:30pm where I was beyond ecstatic to learn that there was a pita jungle there! My FAV. We had a quick dinner and headed south to Phoenix around 7.45pm. At about 9.45 we finally made it (and yep Owen slept those two hours...) So, we check in and unpack and that's when Owen really started his party. He was like a kid on about 3 million pounds of sugar. If we weren't so tired it would have been really amusing. All in all, great day. It's been almost 7 years since I left Arizona but the one thing I learned today is that this state still has a giant piece of my heart.


No comments: